Cedar wood shakes

Old 12-22-09, 12:10 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cedar wood shakes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi I have cedar wood shingles on my roof and they are starting to get some mildew or moss growth... I really dont want to change the roof because that just means money i dont have... Is there a way to clean the roof.... ive heard using bleach in a hose end sprayer and spraying it all down... Would i have to use a brush and clean or is there a better way...
some peole say using a power washher but i dont have one ....should i get one and do that?

any advice would be of great help
thanks again

Old 12-22-09, 05:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 824 Upvotes on 722 Posts
A bleach/water solution will work although mold/moss will require some scrubbing. I like to mix the bleach in a pump up garden sprayer. The bleach/water solution should never be stronger than 50/50 as pure bleach will destroy wood fibers

You can rent a pressure washer but care must be used!!!! it's easy to damage the shingles if you aren't careful. A garden hose will also work. When using water it is very important to spray from the top down! You don't want to force water under the shingles. An old broom can be helpful for scrubbing the stubborn areas.

A translucent stain with extra mildewcide added will help the appearance of the roof and slow down the growth of new mildew and moss.

Old 12-22-09, 05:57 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would avoid the power washer. You will drive a lot of moisture into those shingles. They probably of damaging them is quite high as well. Cedar is very soft.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: