Need Advice on Flat Roof Deck Waterproofing

Old 01-04-13, 11:36 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Advice on Flat Roof Deck Waterproofing

We have a roof/deck that has a slight slope for water runoff. It is about 2 years old.
The construction of it:
First Layer: Plywood, Second Layer: Tar paper, Third Layer: Plywood.
The seams and plywood then was given 2 coats of White sealer and then painted grey.

We are have a few leaks with some of the seams. Any advice on a good waterproofer? Roof coating? We are looking for something we ourselves can apply to the roof.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 01-04-13, 12:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

The seams, maybe the whole roof needs some type of membrane over it. 25+ yrs ago I worked for a painting outfit that also had a waterproofing division. I only worked in that dept a few times but when we added on a warehouse with an almost flat plywood roof we applied an elastomeric coating and then rolled out a membrane and applied another coat of the elastomeric. I was skeptical but I worked there another 5 yrs and that roof never leaked.

You should be able to look in the yellow pages and find a roofing supply house. They should be able to tell you what materials will work best for your roof.

Old 01-04-13, 02:40 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I live in an area where most roofs are flat and standard practice here is roll roofing, usually rubber glued or torched down. A flat roof is much more susceptible to leaks than a peaked roof. I have never heard of a painted plywood roof and would expect it will deteriorate rather quickly after a few summers of sun and rain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: