gutter guards

Old 01-08-10, 02:56 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gutter guards

Like many others I'm looking for the "best" gutter guard for my home. For the past three years I've used the hinged screen available at the big box stores. They work keeping the gutters clear of debris but they cause leaves, pine needles and twigs to pile up on them.
I did plenty of searches online and it seemed like the best economical solution was the white plastic guard with the diamond shaped holes in it. I read that the main drawback was that the diamond shaped holes because they caught small twigs and debris.
I decided to visit the big box store during lunch today and was surprised to find a modification to these gutter guards. Now they have a lightweight fiberglass screen glued to the top of the gutter guard. I bought a box of 25 for $42 and installed them this afternoon.
In a couple of months I report on how well they work.

Old 01-08-10, 04:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey, Bruce, after you get frustrated with all the pine needles and twigs, look into a product like gutter helmet. That's a brand name, and there are others. It uses capillary action to take the water back into your gutter, while allowing solid materials to run off. Costly? Yep. Worth it? IMO, yep. You don't have to climb up and clean gutters, ever, as most of them have a warranty which includes cleaning your gutters should they ever get anything in them. Not bad.
Oh, yeah, have them professionally installed to keep the warranty intact.

Old 01-08-10, 05:21 PM
B
Hello again Chandler.
I've considered that type of guard but after reading some reviews online about them and seeing how much they cost I decided against them.
Online they talk about when the gutters clog from insect nest or what ever you have to remove them to clean them.
A co-worker just yesterday told me that his dad had them and when they clogged he called the installer to clear them. He thought they were gurarenteed not to clog or they would clean them. Anyway, when they arrived he was told that it was algae that was clogging the gutters and he had't been treating the gutters with the correct cleaner (probably something with bleach in it). They refused to help him.
Videos online also show how small leaves also are carried into the gutter with the water.
My gutters aren't that difficult to clean so I would much rather clean them a couple times a year than spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on the helmet type of guard.
Stay warm up there!

Old 01-08-10, 06:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Gee, our lows haven't been out of the low teens for a week or more. 11 last night, 12 tonight, wind chill at -8, so we just build a fire and hang in there. I understand about the gutter helmets, though.

Old 11-27-11, 09:20 AM
S
gutter guards and pine needles

We bought a house with the solid gutter helmet already installed. Pine needles still get in. We ended up replacing with open gutters. Since neither of us can get up to clean we hire it out monthly during pine needle season. Ours are fine the rest of the year.

Old 11-28-11, 07:10 AM
W
Reverse curl gutter caps (gutter helmet) rely on surface tension to curl the water back into the trough.

They are still susceptible to fines and pine needles.

I would recommend a fine screen mesh (Leaf Solutions is the one we have used). The biggest issue with fine screens is that they will allow for overshoot of the gutters in heavy rains.

We have used RainDrop with success as well and while it technically allows pine needles in, it also catches ever drop of water and successfully clears any small amount of accumulate debris that gets in there.

Old 11-28-11, 07:25 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
My parents installed gutter helmet several years ago after the old man fell off the roof one day while cleaning the gutters

They have worked well and I would not hesitate to install them on my own house.

Old 11-28-11, 07:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Not being from GA I don't know if I'm aloud to post but here goes. I have installed the ones with the round holes backed with a fine vinly mesh. I've had them two years now and have not had to touch them yet. Chandler I thought GA was warm! I'm staying in VA

Old 12-01-11, 12:08 PM
To the OP, those are the ones I put on my house. When I bought the house it handed just the expanded metal looking plastic ones on it. Those kept out the leaves and acorns from the oak trees, but still let in the 'fuzzy string things' (for lack of a better name) that fall from the oaks in the spring. I still had to clean the gutters a few times a year. I put the ones with the screens on and it keeps everything out. It was a temporary permanent solution.

I agree that it allows water to overshoot the gutters, but it's only in really hard rains, and we don't get as many of those. If I ever get the gutters replaced I'll look at something like a gutter helmet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: