Roof extension

Old 01-08-10, 09:49 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Roof extension

From the last hurricane season here in south Florida I know my asphalt shingles are about shot because we lost a few. My thinking is the main problems are that (a) the shingles are not adhering to the ones below them and (b) the shingles are brittle, so that when they flap up in a strong wind they break.

Let's say that I need to make this roof last another year. Let's further assume that I am willing to put a dab of goo under each shingle on the roof to help hold them down.

What would be the best adhesive for this purpose? In my experience, that black stuff they sell in tubes in the roofing department at HD lasts only a few months before it becomes a cracked glob. Would a good construction adhesive work better?

Also, is my thinking faulty here? I have seen this procedure recommended on various storm prep web pages, but using the black "roofing adhesives".

Old 01-08-10, 10:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
I've never had trouble with dabs of roof sealant under shingles, it would probably be fine. You just need a nickel sized dot on each corner. Other sealants would probably work fine too, especially if they only have to last one season. Geocel Pro Flex is a good sealant.

Roof sealant doesn't work well in places where elasticity is needed... long joints where things expand and contract. That's where a good elastomeric sealant should be used.

Old 01-08-10, 10:21 PM
S
You're saying "sealant". I shouldn't be looking for an "adhesive"? Is the Geocell product sold in roofing departments or with the sealants/caulks?

Old 01-08-10, 10:36 PM
Group Moderator
They're similar. Geocel is sold with the caulking. The benefit of an elastomeric sealant is that it does not get hard and brittle. If you read the specs on Geocel Pro Flex, one of the things it is specifically recommended for is shingles.

Old 01-09-10, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I must agree with XSleeper. Id. gio with geocel. thats the only sealant i use on all my jobs.

Old 01-10-10, 06:27 AM
S
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Going back to my adhesive vs. sealant question, the Geocel web page recommends two products for adhesion of asphalt shingles, and neither one is ProFlex (both are roofing products). You're recommending ProFlex for sticking shingles down, right?

Old 01-11-10, 07:51 PM
S
Not to start a controversy, but I contacted Geocell and they don't recommend ProFlex for adhering shingles. It sounds like you guys like it a lot for other things but the company says it's solvent based, cures by the solvent evaporating out of it, and should not be entrapped. They recommend their two roofing products, 3500 and Roofpatch.

Last edited by suobs; 01-11-10 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-11-10, 09:44 PM
Group Moderator
I am quite sure the person you talked to was thinking that you intended to use Geocel Pro Flex "brushable sealant" or Geocel Pro Flex "Roof Seal". Neither of these are the product I was suggesting that you should use, and he is correct, you would not brush this product under a shingle, because it would have a hard time evaporating.

Image credit: amazon dot com

The one I was referring to is Geocel Pro Flex Tripolymer sealant, which comes in a caulking tube, and as I mentioned, their very own website says that it is for use on shingles, asphalt in particular. And as I mentioned, I would suggest a person use nickel sized dots of it. Geocel's website recommends only two products for shingle adhesion, but the Geocel Pro Flex Tripolymer sealant is recommended for many other types of roofing applications- flashings, nail holes, leaks, etc. So it is not a question of whether or not it will work.

Image credit: geocelusa dot com

So I'm sorry if I was unclear. They have multiple products called "Pro Flex", which is their retail/homeowner line of products. I also didn't want anyone thinking that I was spouting off information that was incorrect. Their 3500 product would be the best product to use, but you might have a hard time finding it, which is why I didn't suggest it. And their "roof patch" is pretty much like every other asphalt/tar sealant that you can buy, it would probably work but I would stay away from it.

Last edited by XSleeper; 01-11-10 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-12-10, 06:29 AM
S
I'll check back with them. I was referring to the tripolymer in the tube, but maybe they weren't. It also seemed odd to think of gluing down a shingle tab as "entrapped" since has airflow from the bottom and sides. Only the top is covered.

I really appreciate this kind of advice. There's no way to get reliable info about new products except talking to people, since the big boxes don't always carry the best. Reading the lables just doesn't work!

Old 01-12-10, 07:39 PM
S
They say they were talking about both products. From their response:

"For all intents and purposes when using ProFlex as a tab cement it is entrapping the product so that it does not get adequate air flow. It does not cure in the time frame it should and could attack the asphalt from underneath. If ProFlex is used properly with asphalt shingles (on top), the product is allowed to cure freely and the solvent evaporates and does not harm the asphalt. Again, the only products we recommend are the 3500 and the Roofpatch."

Old 01-12-10, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, what I'm saying is that a nickel sized dot is going to cure quickly and it will not result in "entrapment". But whatever.

Old 01-12-10, 08:28 PM
S
For what it's worth, I appreciate your experience and helping with my question. I'll probably go with your suggestion anyway, since I also don't get the "entrapment" thing.

Now if I can just find the stuff in a store . . .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: