Counter flashing

Old 01-10-10, 06:23 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Counter flashing

A roofer told me that the standard procedure for reroofing when there is siding in place on walls that adjoin the roof is "counter flashing" that is applied over the bottom edge of the siding then caulked on the top edge.

I'm trying to picture how this keeps water from getting under the roofing once the caulk starts to fail.

Old 01-10-10, 01:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,940 Upvotes on 1,742 Posts
I wouldn't call it standard procedure on every re-roof. But it is one method that roofers use. And you are correct that it would fail once the sealant fails. Which is why they usually use the best sealants available, ones that stick like glue, have good elasticity, and that will last the life of the roof.

Getting the flashing behind the siding so that the siding will act like the counter flashing is almost always a better method, but depending on the existing siding, might not always be possible without destroying the siding.

Old 01-10-10, 03:50 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XSleeper
. . . they usually use the best sealants available, ones that stick like glue, have good elasticity, and that will last the life of the roof.
An example of a sealant like that would be the one we were talking about a couple of days ago on my other thread - ProFlex?

Old 01-10-10, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,940 Upvotes on 1,742 Posts
yep!

At least one would hope so!

Old 01-12-10, 09:30 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You have the existing T1-11 siding, right? Why can't the roofers just pull out the bottom of the sheathing with a flat bar to use standard metal step flashing on the rake and roof/wall? They can drive the bar under it knowing any damage to roofing/flashing will be covered with new. Gluing a counter flashing on plywood, expecting caulking to hold the dis-similar materials from leaking is asking for trouble.

Be safe, Gary

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: