shingles-stucco- electrical pipe

Old 01-19-10, 12:02 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb shingles-stucco- electrical pipe

Have 1957 2story complex with extensive old and recurring water damage in roof. !0 years ago they put in a new roof with shingles. It still leaked because the stucco was bad.
I have been using garbage bags and they work but they blow away in wind and melt in heat. The electrical pipe comes out of the exterior wall and runs along the edge of the wall with the stucco on the wall and the shingles. I don't think they replaced the flashing under the stucco. Owner doesn't want to do stucco and shingle repair again. My IDEA was to use expanding foam along the edge where the shingles meet the stucco. Would that work ? Would it look ok? Would it meet code ? What do you think?

Old 01-19-10, 03:27 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
There are better things than foam. How big is the gap? What's worng with the owner? Is it a rental property? Can you post some pics to photobuicket.com ?

Old 01-19-10, 08:11 PM
H
No I can't post any pics - no camara. As to what is wrong with the owner - he apparently has not been concerned. I guess it doesn't fit into his big picture. I have told him and his maintenance person on numerous occasions. They seem to enjoy watching and causing fights in the complex more. It's true, I swear! So what is better!
Oh, and yes this is a rental plex. You can't even see where it is leaking. I know by trial and error when I put the plastic up. The shingles look fine there. It's funny because the rain is never aiming at it, but it makes a big mess in the kitchen diningroom below, and I stopped counting how many times the kitchen ceiling has been replaced and worked on. Moderator - any suggestions?

Last edited by hummingtree; 01-19-10 at 08:38 PM. Reason: I forgot to put in addition information
Old 01-19-10, 08:35 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If the leak is causing damage in your apartment, you have the legal right, in most places, to tell him that you are going to have it fixed, pay the bill & deduct it from your rent. Some land lords are happy with that idea, since they don't have to bother doing the leg work.

Check your local laws to be sure.

Old 01-19-10, 09:07 PM
H
Actually, it is in a common kitchen but basically you could legally count it as "mine" for each tenant. It is tricky, what you are suggesting. While I understand it is legal and true, most of the time - it really isn't what happens - 'here". To further complicate matters, it is a HUD funded plex - and even so - it has not made him repair it in 13 years - and many pay and deduct tenants ago! That is why I inquired about the foam.

Old 01-20-10, 08:34 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Then call the building dept. Let one agency fight with the other. Once again, if you can find someone with a camera, we might be able to give you a better answer. Is the gap too large for caulking?

Old 01-20-10, 05:01 PM
H
I will see if my neighbor will take a picture with his digital and use his computer to send it to you. As for the gap- you can't even see it. That is the one under the electrical pipe. The stucco on the end corner is busted but shows no signs of leakage. I tried covering the stucco on the end and still got drips, but when I covered the pipe with plastic that is when the leaks stop. And as manager- if I tried to get the building department to come out -well you know what would happen.

Old 01-20-10, 07:21 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Then get a tube of caulking & a caulking gun. Put caulking anywhere you think that water can enter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: