Tile Roof

Old 01-23-10, 11:10 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tile Roof

I am the handyman of the family and live in the midwest. My nephew in Las Vegas wants some help with a patio cover project the involves a tile roof. Because I don't know squat about tile roofs I need some education.

Is the tile installed over plywood/OSB sheathing or is there some other type construction used?
Is the tile nailed or screwed to the sheathing?
Are there special nails or screws used?
Is felt laid first?
What is the minimum slope for tile?
Is cement/mortor needed?
Anything else I should know?

The patio roof is going to tie into the eave of the existing tile roof on the house.

Is there a trick to get under the existing tile to make the tie-in?

Old 01-23-10, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Fred... I don't know squat about 'em really....except if they aren't done right...they will be a nightmare for years. Because of the numerous multiple paths for water...a leak can be real hard to find. As to tying into existing...I wouldn't even want to attempt it w/o a Pro there. Oh....and I don't think you can walk on them either.

I believe it is installed over ply mostly...but I think its thicker because of the weight.

My neighbors is all nailed...galvanized...don't know if they are special or not.

Dunno

Dunno

At some areas...depending on the roof style...again...just going by the neighbors. Some areas also appear to have some sort of manmade material to keep birds out maybe?

Now...if done correctly they'll pretty much last forever. And I believe they are cooler than shingles. I never understood though...up in LV (and here...but not so much) they have a tile roof but a shingled area for the roof mounted HVAC unit...gotta have a way up to service it.

Many houses here have tile roofs...but the carport or patio roof use shingles or a roll roof product of some sort. Several neighbors are that way.

Old 01-23-10, 09:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ive never installed a tile roof, but i have tore quite afew off. and from the ones i've seen they were dried in. and then the roof was stripped out with wood battons and the tiles were installed on top of the battons.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: