Double 2 x 12 header completely rotted

Old 01-28-10, 08:58 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Double 2 x 12 header completely rotted

24' long header is toast.
Wondering about how much it would cost to replace it. (I've done it already and am wondering what others would ballpark their estimate based on just a picture)

Next is stopping it from happening again.

Can anyone suggest what the best adhesive and flashing material to use to divert water in the deck top? Not sure of the deck material... perhaps lead or copper?

If i can figure how to post pictures I will show y'all what I need to do.

Flickr: spinningplastic's Photostream

Old 01-28-10, 09:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 723 Posts
This web site might provide some useful info about kick out flashing: Dormer, Bay and Chimney Sidewall Kickout Flashings FAQ - Paragon Home Inspections Evanston Chicago IL

Old 01-29-10, 12:31 PM
F
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand
This web site might provide some useful info about kick out flashing: Dormer, Bay and Chimney Sidewall Kickout Flashings FAQ - Paragon Home Inspections Evanston Chicago IL
Thanks, that's kinda what I had in mind. The deck railing needs to become watertight with flashing directing all the rainwater runoff to the "dry side".

I'm still wondering if my hourly rate as an insured handyman is an enormous value or in line with building contractor rates. The homes value is in the $360.000 range. It took me most of a week to replace it. I don't care to disclose my rates here but for those that have done several of this type repair might have an idea of what's involved & the cost.

Old 01-29-10, 05:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
A week? $1600-2000 plus materials would probably be an average price to have 1 skilled, self-employed contractor working 40 hours. I don't know that your repair is the sort of thing someone would try to bid, as if there was a set price for doing that sort of repair. A lot of companies would agree to do it for time and materials, whatever that may be.

Gee, did I just disclose my rates? LOL

Old 01-29-10, 06:15 PM
F
I was thinking a bit more... like in the $3000 range if looking and giving an estimate. I could see a high end company bidding more then that.
Tossing a couple 24' long 2 x 12's into a space that's 23' with a window ion one side and a french door on the other is not really a one man job. Add in the removal of the existing facia & gutter & cutting in clearance before rebuilding & you've got a nice 'lil project.
My bill is looking like it'll be in this neighborhood by the time I finish waterproofing it.
Just want to not sound like I'm gouging... I like everything to be a fair price so everybody is happy.

Old 01-29-10, 06:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
Sounds very reasonable, especially if you have a 2nd guy to pay.

Old 02-07-10, 01:42 AM
K
gotta say, if you wont disclose your rates on the internet, how do you do it in person? I charge $50 an hour, and I can hold my head up for it. I am worth it. I will tell anyone what my rate is in advance, and I am not ashamed of it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: