Roof leak (?)

Old 01-31-10, 02:43 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof leak (?)

Hi,

I see a leak on my garage celing. My master bathroom is above the garage. So I have been suspecting that it could be my bathroom. So I caulked my master bathroom. I have been using it for a week and see leak again. I see the large dried water marks on the ceiling along the ceiling joist. No dripping or anything like that. I also noticed that the shingles attached to my siding of the house along the garage is kind of peeling out. It rained little bit on the day before the leak appears. It is not exactly roof but I don't know what to call it is. see picture

I marked the peeling shingles in a red box. Here is the close up picture of the shingles coming out of the siding.
).

Any suggestion on how to fix this or is it a concern? Is it possible for the leak to happen through this to the garage? I am attaching the garage ceiling picture to give you a idea.

I used my water hose to simulate rain but I don't see any water marks on the ceiling. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ramesh

Old 01-31-10, 04:24 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I would caulk or patch the section where you drew the red box.

If it's coming from the bathroom, I would say it's drainage. Turn on the sink first. If you don't see anything, try the shower. Then flush the toilet a few times.

Old 02-01-10, 05:11 AM
Why don't you have any flashing between your roof and your siding? That should all be flashed. I would have it flashed, and then heavy caulk before the flashing is put in. Just my thoughts. Good Luck

Old 02-01-10, 06:10 AM
F
If it's directly brlow the shower check the shower valve... I've had to replace several shower valve cores that would only leak when in use.

Old 02-05-10, 10:15 AM
D
Easier said than done, but it's hard to make a recommendation when you do not know the source. I would check to see if it was any of the pipes or valves leaking from the above bathroom. run water at different times from the different faucets. Weed them out one-by-one. If it's not any of them, it's the spot on your roof. Caulk and flash it.

Old 02-07-10, 06:58 PM
T
Thanks for all your reply.

I ruled out all my water source i.e. faucets, toilet and even jacuzzi which is right above the leak source (where you see the big windows). The two other sources are my shower and the roof. There was a heavy rain forecast during last friday. So we did not use the shower and waited for the rain to come. After the rain waited for a day but there is no sign of the leak. So we started using the shower from today and see no leak. We are going to continue using it and see if it going to leak or not.

How do I check if the leak is in the valve? Does it leak only during the shower in use or a constant leak?

Thanks,
Ramesh

Old 02-07-10, 08:04 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
A leak before the faucet in a supply line will leak all the time. A leak after the faucet will only leak when the shower is running. A leak in the shower drain will only leak when the shower is running.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: