Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

path up a bunch of 1/4 inch lag bolt holes from removed pool solar panels

path up a bunch of 1/4 inch lag bolt holes from removed pool solar panels

Old 02-01-10, 09:17 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
patch up a bunch of 1/4 inch lag bolt holes from removed pool solar panels

Hello experts,

I have some old pool solar panels on top of an asphalt shingle roof that are held down in a bunch of places with clamps and 1/4" lag bolts. I've had a couple of these start to leak on me and I've gone up, removed them, squeezed in some black jack roof cement, and put in new lag bolts. It looks like this is the same process they used to originally install them.

Come spring I'd like to remove the solar panels since they are deteriorated and no longer work. The shingles are in good shape, only 8-10 years old, so I'd like to just patch up any damaged ones and repair the holes. I plan on removing all the clamps and lag bolts, removing the affected shingles, then patching the hole in the felt and sheathing with roof cement, and replace with new shingles.

Question is, do I need to do anything to the 1/4" holes that are now in the roof sheathing other than using roof cement to patch, such as using a little piece of flashing or something to cover the hole?

Thanks.

Old 02-01-10, 12:55 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't see any reason to use flashing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: