Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Which is better, .... Rubber or Single for Semi-Flat Roof?

Old 02-12-10, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi:
The Roof of my Family room is semi-flat roof and this morning we, the family found two small leaks in the middle of the ceiling, due to this week's historic and rare massive snow storm, close to 3 feet.

We are aware of a price of Rubber is higher than Single, however because of semi-flat room, I started to consider whether Rubber-Roof is more suitable to the condition of our roof than Single?

One of neighbors told me, however that Rubber-roof has 'condension issue' that worries me. In my guess, there is some moisture built-up between Rubber and insulation?

Your imputs would be truely appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 03-05-10, 06:09 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
I am unaware of any condesation issues that would effect a rubber roof any differently than a shingle roof. If this is a concern you could have the roofer install some insulation while installing the rubber. Typically an 1 1/2" (4'x8') sheet of ISO (Poly-Isocyanurate) board offers and additional R value of 6.5/inch of insulation. Also when you say rubber are you talking about conventional rubber (like a tire inner tube) or a white "rubber" like a TPO or PVC membrane? I would suggest using one of these white roofing membranes as their white color lessens the thermal shock when compared to a typical black EPDM(rubber) roofing membrane, plus a white roof will lower cooling costs in the summer and additional insulation will help during the heating months of winter. Thermal shock is the stress a roof is put under when it is rapidly heated and cooled during a typical day. A black roof can get upwards to 160 degrees during a hot day and then cool back down at night. Where a typical white roof will only be 5 to 10 degrees above ambient air temperature on the same hot day. This lessens the stress allowing the roof to perform for a longer period of time.

Old 03-06-10, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the response. I really appreciate your help.

As I stated in my previous post, .... this/ice-dam happened after historic and massive snow storm. Until then, even climbing up several times on the roof during warm-weather, a roof-leak and roof-damage never occurred.

Now, all snow has been gone, it's strange enough 'roof-leak' stopped completely even after two days' light rain.

However, I still want 'rubber' over 'shingle.' This is mainly, 'semi-flat' roof and plus a big tree in the backyard.

One more thing I need to know is whether 'white-rubber' is more pricy than 'black-one.' Car-port roof is 'black-rubber' which was installed about three years ago and a bit more expensive than Shingle. Even having cleaned all snow by using a steep-snow shavel, there was NO single leak and NO hole at all. Then, I feel very safe getting 'Rubber-roof' for Family Room as well.

One thing I noticed was that after Rubber-roof putting in the Car-port, there was a bit moisture and condensation inside Car-Port, but I ignored it seeing that it's just 'car-port' which has two different openings without a door.

Should I talk to 'roof-representative' by bringing my concern? Or, what else should I know before making any decision?

Thanks,

Old 03-06-10, 04:13 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Where did you notice the condesation? Is this a reoccuring condition? If this a concern of yours then you should definately mention it and any other concerns to your roofing contractor.You will have to talk to your contractor to see what the price difference is typically the material is priced about $.10/sqft higher but each market is different. There are advantages to having the white membrane verse the black but it is definately something that you should talk with your roofer about. I would suggest using someone who is more geared to commercial roofing as the white rubber does take a little more expertise when installing since the seams are actually welded together through the use of a heat gun verse the chemical adhesive seaming done with conventional EPDM(black rubber).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: