Grading away from house for drainage

Old 02-13-10, 02:46 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grading away from house for drainage

The concrete walk in front of my house is old, cracked, and allowed water to get into the foundation walls once already.

i want to crack it up and remove it and replace it with soil, and mulch which i will landscape with plants and such.

is there any particular type of landscaping fabric i can place well below the surface to help grade the water away from the house?

i would like to do this project as soon as mother nature allows me to, lol.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-10, 10:42 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by michael4244 View Post
The concrete walk in front of my house is old, cracked, and allowed water to get into the foundation walls once already.

i want to crack it up and remove it and replace it with soil, and mulch which i will landscape with plants and such.

is there any particular type of landscaping fabric i can place well below the surface to help grade the water away from the house?

i would like to do this project as soon as mother nature allows me to, lol.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Placing something like this below the cement would still allow the surface water to drain toward your foundation. What you need to do is to slope the new walkway away from the house at least one inch for every ten feet. You should also have that slope on the soil surrounding the walk.

Old 02-14-10, 11:05 AM
Just make sure that you use a 10"x10" tamper compact the added soil in layers as you form the new grade.
Hope you're into body building. If not you can rent a power tamper.
That in itself will cause surface water to flow away from the foundation and absorb elsewhere.
The landscape fabric with the mulch is placed on top and will help keep that grade from eroding. Here's the stupid thing about landscape fabric. It comes in 5yr, 10yr, 20yr grades. Like its a maintainence item.

No interest in repairing the old side walk huh? If a walk way is still needed in your opinion maybe you can use some round patio blocks or whatever and incorporate that into the landscape.

Last edited by mickblock; 02-14-10 at 11:26 AM. Reason: walk way surface
Old 02-25-10, 08:35 AM
M
Grading away from the house

Thanks for the Reply RedsoxFan.

i do have a 10x10 tamper and i agree, having to grad such a large area (30 feet long) away from the house, i came up with an addtional idea to Greatly solve the problem.

i want to build a porch with a roof overhead, but not to ignore the ground below, i still want to grade the way you suggested.

what do you think? good idea?

*see, even YANKEE and REDSOX fans can get along, lol*