Why the astronomical prices for a dormer????

Old 02-18-10, 09:07 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I dont get it. I asked around for pricing for a rear dormer on a cape and was shocked at the estimates.

Its a standard cape (32 feet long) and I wanted a 28 foot dormer (one rafter in). There is nothing unique about the situation - no special supports needed or anything. Its your basic 2 day job.

I didnt even want siding or a roof. Just the shell, plywood and tar paper, and three windows. I would do the rest inside and out.

My first estimate was 28k. The next was 25k.

Whats the deal?

I know the materials come in under $3500 So what is this - 20K+ for a couple of guys at a 2 days each?

Any insights by contrators are appreciated.

Old 02-18-10, 10:09 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

A lot is for liabilit protection since a DIYr is doing the exposure from the weather and moisture.

Flashing between the side walls of the dormer and the existing roof can get costly and is usually screwed up by a DIYer and some contractors because any error leads to costly problems. The same applies to the roofing and flashing between the new and existing roofs is also critical.

A single leak can lead to many thousands of dollars in corrections plus mold and rot if it is a slow, long term leak that never shows up enough to be seen inside.

If you are just a day or two late getting it tight without proper protection, this can lead to problems.

Just doing the "bull work" and turning it over to someone else leads to problems unless the contractor wants to assume all the liabilities for doing everything correctly.

Keep in mind this is a structural modification because cutting the roof and supports is involved.

Dick

Old 02-18-10, 10:58 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok, it still seems like a lot though. In fact, you brought up something I nee to research more - flashing - thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: