Trying to match shingle replacements

Old 02-19-10, 05:52 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Trying to match shingle replacements

I need to replace some shingles but I'm finding the the color I need is not available in stores in the type I need (laminated type like OC Duration). I can find a pretty good color match in three-tab. I have a few questions.

1) Do the two types intall differently, i.e., can the three-tabs be mixed in with laminated? It looks like the individual sheets are the same size . . .

2) Will the three-tabs look really wrong if mixed in? A couple of the patches that need replacement are fairly large, like 6'x2'

3) Are ridge shingles substantially different between the two types?

4) Do I have other alternatives for finding small quantities of exactly what I need than poking around Lowes and Home Depot?

5) I have no idea what brand they are. Does it matter for replacements? Are the sizes standard?

Old 02-19-10, 07:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 731 Posts
Originally Posted by suobs
1) Do the two types intall differently, i.e., can the three-tabs be mixed in with laminated? It looks like the individual sheets are the same size . . .
Getting ready for the summer eh Suobs?
I'm am not a roofing pro but I have worked with both types so here I what I know (or think I know):

Yes, they are both the same size. The laminated will be thicker due to the lamination

2) Will the three-tabs look really wrong if mixed in? A couple of the patches that need replacement are fairly large, like 6'x2'
I think it would look pretty bad.

3) Are ridge shingles substantially different between the two types?
Not sure on this one. Most cases I would just cut the 3 tab apart and use that for the ridge cap.

4) Do I have other alternatives for finding small quantities of exactly what I need than poking around Lowes and Home Depot?
Go to a full service lumber yard or shingle supplier. They will carry more options. If you can, bring a sample.

5) I have no idea what brand they are. Does it matter for replacements? Are the sizes standard?
The sizes are standard so if you can get a good color match, I think you will be ok.

Old 02-19-10, 08:05 AM
S
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand
Getting ready for the summer eh Suobs?
You got it: summer = hurricanes.

Old 02-19-10, 08:20 AM
S
I gotta say, this has got to be the most aggravating DIY exercise I've been through in a while - trying to find the color and order it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: