Confusing stain on soffit

Old 02-26-10, 07:19 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Confusing stain on soffit

Hello.

On the underside of my soffit, directly next to the evestrough, there is a brownish substance 'wetting' the underside in one location only. I only noticed it today following a full day of heavy rain and wind, (rain and winds gusting to 50 knots).

The soffit itself is made of plastic.

I took a sample of it with a paper towel...it comes off very easy, has no smell, and looks exactly like a stain that would be left over from a tea bag.

I realize that water must have been forced up into the soffit area causing whatever that is up there to liquify and drip out of the air holes...however I am interested in knowing what it would be.

On a final note, I did check the roof directly above and everything is perfectly sound. Could the liquid be the reminants of a wasp nest (?).

Here is a link to some photos;

soffit stain :: Picture748.jpg picture by Mach73 - Photobucket

Old 02-27-10, 05:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 741 Upvotes on 647 Posts
If this is just a 1 time deal, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it reoccurs - then I'd be concerned!

More than likely it's just dirt/grime that was carried out [onto the vinyl] by rain water that was forced behind the roof.

Old 02-27-10, 07:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,714 Upvotes on 1,538 Posts
I agree with mark that it is likely rain water that has leaked in due to the wind and rain. It was most likely driven behind the roof edging, where it got behind the fascia cover. It is brown, either from tannins in the wood, or its just picking up the dirt and dust that's been laying on top of your old wooden soffit (that is likely still above the vinyl) for years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: