How do I prevent dripping over edge of gutter?

Old 03-03-10, 06:50 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I prevent dripping over edge of gutter?

I have a wood deck in back and wood stairs in front, both stained and sealed. Over this past winter with unusual amounts of snow the water was constantly dripping down the outer edge of the gutters and has started to wear through the stained/sealed deck along the gutter line.

Is the anyway to prevent this dripping from occurring or is re- sealing needed?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 03-03-10, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Get a snow rake and rake the snow off your roof edges after it snows. It's kind of impossible to keep ice out of your gutters in the winter unless you get out there every time it snows and rake the snow and clean the gutters out.

Some people run heat cables in their gutters, but it still won't keep them 100% clear unless you get out there and do some maintenance periodically.

Old 03-03-10, 06:43 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do you have gutter guards or something similar? They can easily freeze or frost over and shed the freezing/thawing water over the top even when the gutter is clear if cold air gets under he guard.

Dick

Old 03-04-10, 06:59 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That makes total sense now. I do have leaf guards and the snow probably built up over them instead of in the gutters. I will have to re-seal the wood this time but will remove the leaf guards next winter and that should definitely reduce the dripping. Sometimes you just need an outside opinion to make the simplest thing clear.

Thanks again for the advice.
Beer 4U2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: