Pelling paint on soffit/window frames

Old 03-09-10, 11:09 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pelling paint on soffit/window frames

We just had our gutters replaced and the exterior of our house painted last fall. The paint on the soffit and window frames is peeling on the shady side of the house. The side that faces the sun is fine. The painter came out and said it was not a paint/painter problem but a roof problem and that he was not responsible for the peeling paint. He said it was due to the excessive snow that we had this winter and the snow freezing and thawing on the roof.

Is this accurate information and if so what can I do to fix this and prevent this from happening again?

Old 03-09-10, 02:13 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 842 Upvotes on 739 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It's entirely possible that it peel due to moisture from the old gutters. Hard to say without being there to see what it looked liked [both before and after the repaint] Personally I'd have took care of it if no other reason than good will/reputation.

Assuming the new gutters have solved the problem, scraping, primer and paint should fix it.

Old 03-09-10, 03:28 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

They are brand new gutters put on by a company recommended by the painters. I have the guys who put on the gutters coming out to get their opinion.

The paint that was on the soffit prior to this new paint was in great condition. The only reason we painted that side was because we changed the color.

Old 03-09-10, 04:18 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Certainly not my specialty, but you mentioned the issue is on the "shady side of the house". Just an observation would be, that is also most likely to be to wet side of the house. Dampness or moisture content in the wood might be part of the issue.

But I agree with marksr, he missed a good will opportunity, and those are often worth more than the job.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: