French Drain - Drainage help

Old 03-14-10, 09:30 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
French Drain - Drainage help

I have drainage issues in my back and side yard. In the back, the water pool in a swale between the bottom of the hill and the back of the house. The side yard is also bordered by a hill but the ground around the house is not as high. To add further to the problem I added a garden that has negatively disrupted the grading. All of this causes a large ring of puddles around the house and water in the basement.

I would like to add a french drain to drain toward the street. I understand the concept but I can't see how I can create a system that slopes prpoerly and still ends up above ground. Our property slopes some but I feel if I install a pipe 6-8 inches below the soil surface and then slope it downward, I will never get it back above ground.

Am I missing something? Where does the water go?

Old 03-14-10, 12:21 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hi Lginty:

The french drain does not have to end up above ground. It is common to direct it to a dry well. You can also have more than one dry well and/or drain pipes coming from the well if you need the capacity.

Also, the french drain should be laid in gravel which will allow water to drain out as it is running down hill.

Old 03-31-10, 02:17 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Same Story....

I have exactly the same problem at my house in Central Florida. The water pools along both sides of the house at the low point of the slope. I would like to install a french drain and have it run out toward the back of the property to keep the lawn a little drier and healthier.

Here's my question:

From what I understand a french drain is just a PVC pipe with holes drilled in it, buried just beneath the soil. I have the same secondary question though....Where does the water from the pipe go? And, what is a "dry well"?

Old 04-01-10, 08:15 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smith978 View Post
I have exactly the same problem at my house in Central Florida. The water pools along both sides of the house at the low point of the slope. I would like to install a french drain and have it run out toward the back of the property to keep the lawn a little drier and healthier.

Here's my question:

From what I understand a french drain is just a PVC pipe with holes drilled in it, buried just beneath the soil. I have the same secondary question though....Where does the water from the pipe go? And, what is a "dry well"?
Hi Smith 978:

There's more to a proper french drain than just a buried pipe. Here's a link to a good explanation:

How to dig and install a French drain

I'd suggest that you also Google "french drain" as there are a lot of tricks that might fit a particular situation.

And here is a description of a "dry well" again I suggest you Google the subject.

Dry well - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: