Shingle blow off

Old 03-17-10, 03:44 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shingle blow off

For the past couple years I've had a shingle blow off my roof now & then. I would just replace the shingle. I've have no water leaks. However, the shingles only blow off on one side of the roof, facing south. My house is a cape cod. I bought the house 6 years ago, & the owner said he replaced the roof about 3 years before I bought it. Should replace the roof? The house has 2 roofs on it. Why would the shingles only blow off on one side? Is it practicle to only replace one side?

Old 03-17-10, 06:46 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Shingles

Check closely on the nailing pattern of the shingles. How many nails in each shingle? The guys nailing shingles on the problem side may not have used as many nails as the guys on the good side. Each 3-tab shingle should have 6 nails; 2 nails in each tab.

Old 03-18-10, 02:43 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanx. Looks like you're right. My neighbor who used to work as a roofer, looked at it yesterday & he said it appears that the shingles were nailed incorrectly. My house is a cape cod & with the slope of the roof, replacing the shingles safely is going to be an issue for me to do it. Replacing the roof just isn't in my budget right now. And there may be be 3, not 2 roofs on there now, which will add to the cost of a tear off. The neighbor's son is a roofer & he's offered to contact him to go ahead & replace the shingles, there are about 10 blown off. Should I go this route & hope for the best or somehow find the funds for a new roof? Is it feasible to replace only the side where I'm losing the shingles? Thanx.

Old 03-18-10, 04:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts
A few years back a friend of mine had his house damaged by a fire next door. The fire was so hot it melted his vinyl siding and also affected the shingles on that side of the roof. The insurance company replaced all his vinyl [old couldn't be matched] and replaced the shingles on the affected side - so yes it is feasible to shingle just one side. 1 side now and the other side later will cost more than having the whole roof done at one time.

Unless your prepared to reshingle immediately, have the 10 shingles replaced. You don't want any leaks or damage from the leaks while you get ready to reroof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: