Drainage Solution (Diagram Included)

Old 03-18-10, 12:53 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

This is a view of my property line and the adjacent neighbor's property which is elevated 6ft. above my property. The neighbor installed a massive retaining wall almost the full length of the property which stops and soaks up a good amount of their water from above. However, their driveway still shoots quite a bit of water in heavy rains which runs down in front of their wall and some into my foundation. I removed a ton of ivy that was engulfing my foundation wall and regraded with a swale and trench for a french drain. Before i cover up my french drain i want to double-check that i approached this ok. I also want to outlet the french drain into my existing downspout lines that are buried and tie to the storm sewer at the other end of my property. Thanks for your advice!

Last edited by appleman01; 03-18-10 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Was trying to add diagram but doesn't look like attachments are welcome..
Old 03-18-10, 03:49 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It sounds like it will work to me. Did you use a filter fabric to keep the soil out of the stone?

Try photobucket.com to upload your diagram and post the link here.

Old 03-18-10, 04:23 PM

It is always a dangerous situation when you connect a foundation drain tile and gutter sytem together.

The drain tie system picks up water and delivers it much slower the the gutters, Because of this, in a heavy rain and or back-up from the storm system, water can flow backwards to the drain tile/french drain. This backflow can plug a drain tile system or plug a french drain system.

I have no idea about the elevations and lengths you are talking about in the post.

Dick

Old 03-18-10, 04:57 PM
B
Hi Appleman01:

The theory sounds OK unless the flow from your neighbor would overwhelm your system.

What would happen to the water if, in the future, your drainage system were to get clogged? Would your property be flooded?

The easier and more permanent solution is for your neighbor to correct the damage he is causing. I would think that you may have a claim against him if he isn't willing to resolve the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: