re-roof or tear-off

Old 03-22-10, 07:54 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
re-roof or tear-off

So, I have about 25square of roof to replace. When I finally had a guy come to look at it who really knows what he is doing (I had some hoodlums and a big company look at it too), he said that there really is no reason to rip off the roof that is there.

The house was build in 1958, and the current roof is the second roof. The workmanship quality on it is exceptional. All the flashing is aluminum, it sits perfectly flat, etc. This guy (who is the guy who knows what he is doing) said that as someone who always recommends a tear off, it is not needed here, and there is absolutely no reason to.

The cost difference: $4800 re-roof; w/tear off $7500.

Now, the cost difference is $2700. This is 56% of the re-roof cost. thus, in my rationale, if the re-roof lasts even 50% as long as it should have, no big deal. And in any case, I don't plan on owning this house even that long.

Any advice?

Old 03-23-10, 05:38 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Replacing Roofing

The important question is whether or not all the roof sheathing is good for another 30 years. If not, then a tear-off would be my choice.

Old 03-23-10, 01:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you don't tear off the old roofing, and reroof over it, your new roof will not lay flat. It may look good for year, but then it will get rolls or wrinkles in the roof. Without a tear off, you won't know how good your sub roofing is. Your good guy said $4800 with no tear off. Thats $180 a square. Pretty high. With the $7500 price tag that comes out to $300 a square. Way too high. The $4800 with a complete tear off is still a little high. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: