Eliminating gutters

Old 03-22-10, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Eliminating gutters

I live in a 1-story U-shaped house with a hipped roof with open eaves, built in 1949. Originally built without gutters, but at some point gutters were added. Most of them have downspouts that just carry the water down, but don't connect to a storm drain. Property slopes, and water runs toward the front of the house and away from the rear of the house. Located in Northern CA, so we have 3-4 months of wet weather, and then very little precip the rest of the year.

At some point, we will need to upgrade the drainage. My question is - what are the prospects for living without gutters? Can a system of foundation and storm drains suffice? Objection to gutters is mostly aesthetic.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-10, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
I would think a lot depends on the type of soil you have. My house doesn't have gutters except for a short run above the front steps. I don't have any issues with the water affecting my foundation BUT my house is on a hill and the ground is mostly slate rock. If your soil holds a lot of water I'd think it would be best to pipe it away.

Old 03-23-10, 06:48 AM
In colonial Williamsburg none of the houses have gutter for obvious reason. Instead at the foundation they have a bricks that serve as a gutter and run into a drain.

Old 03-23-10, 07:42 AM
IF you don't have a basement, your lot has a natural slope that would carry water away from your house and the "drip line" slong the sides of your house is a hard surface you can probably get along without gutters. We didn't have gutters on our house when we lived in California.