Leaky window panel old house

Old 04-02-10, 07:01 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Leaky window panel old house

I hope someone can help. I live in an old red sandstone flat. Bottom floor with only 1 flat above me...6 in a block. Circa 1850. I have what i think you call a bay window in my livingroom where i can walk a foot into the window arch as the outside walls are so thick....ok i'm babbling.

The problem i have is the panel above my window is leaking. It's not coming from the window it's self it's coming from the ridges in the panel above which is a foot wide.

I want to try and fix this myself and i'm thinking about re-sealing the outside but i really know little about this to get started. Can anyone help with some guidance?

Thanks so much!!!

Old 04-02-10, 09:03 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Sheri and welcome to the forum. Basically, all you can be certain of is that the leak is somewhere above the water you see. But that could be anywhere between your window and half way up the roof.

From the outside, what is above your window? Does the flat above have windows or roof dormers up there?

Bud

Old 04-02-10, 01:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Could you supply us with a pic or two? Maybe one from the exterior and another of the inside where the leak has showed up.

http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 04-02-10, 02:11 PM
Oh thanks so much for replying....

marksr - i will take a few pictures(inside and out) 1st thing in the morning, it's too dark to see right now and i'll post it.

Bud9051 - Thanks for the welcome! From outside my window the wall is flat. The place above me does have dormers actually. I'll take some pics from further back tomorrow also so that you can see what position they are in relation to my window.

Thanks again for your help.

Sheri

Old 04-03-10, 06:04 AM
Photo's as requested.....

Ok i hope this works....lucky it's sunny here in Scotland today yay!

inside view on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
outide view on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
outside close up on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sheri

Old 04-03-10, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,923 Upvotes on 1,727 Posts
Greetings Sheri,

Did this leak just start, or has it always been leaking? If it just started, you would want to wonder "has anything changed recently that could have caused this leak?" Was the roof recently repaired? Are the windows new & properly installed? The places where the window is leaking would indicate to me that water is getting in somewhere above the window.

The first place to check would be the exterior of the window. is there any gap on top that needs to be caulked?

Next, there is sometimes a steel lintel that supports the cement above the window. Sometimes this steel lintel will catch water and cause it to run back on top of the window. Depending on how bad the crack between the lintel and the cement is, it may need to be caulked or tuckpointed with new mortar. (If there is no steel lintel, then go to the next suspect)

Siding applied to the wall above the window could be letting water into the wall above the window. Inspect siding joints. Inspect area around the satellite dish, too.

Next you'd need to get on a ladder and inspect the bottom of the windows in the flat above you. Areas like that sometimes are in need of caulk, but get neglected because of their height. Water could be getting behind the siding at that point as well.

And then there is the gutter and downspout. If it is plugged, you might have an enormous amount of water running down the wall that SHOULD be going down the downspout.

It would also be advisable to speak to the neighbors upstairs and ask if their window has been leaking too. Maybe you both have the same problem, which could indicate a leak from the dormer above. (roof or window) Hope these point you in the right direction. Good luck with your investigation!

Old 04-04-10, 01:09 PM
Xsleeper - thanks so much for the reply, it looks really helpful! I'm going to be a proper girl and print it out and give it to my step dad and get him to do the inspecting.

The leak started last winter, we had quite a harsh winter and it leaked one night then stopped. Once i had a look i could see that the people i'd bought the house from had tried to seal the area from the inside. I did suspect at the time it wasnt the right thing to do but i left it thinking it was maybe just that winter. It came back though this winter so i've decided to get it sorted as i'll be renting the place out soon and dont want tenants complaining!

Again...thanks so much! If i manage to find anything i'll update this with my solution.

Old 04-04-10, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,923 Upvotes on 1,727 Posts
Glad to try and help, Sheri. Sometimes winter leaks are caused by ice dams. If you have snow and ice on the roof and in the gutters, water could possibly be backing up behind the ice and then it leaks in where it normally wouldn't.

In parts of the US and Canada where we get a lot of snow we have to use snow rakes (on long poles) to try and get most of the snow off the roof so that sort of thing doesn't happen.

Old 04-04-10, 05:29 PM
B
Just to add, another winter related leak is sometimes caused by condensation in the attic or walls. The cause is warm moist air leaking into a cold space where it forms water and freezes. The occurrence of the leak can be a hint as to identifying this type of water problem, as the leak will often occur along with a warm spell that follows a long cold spell. In other words, the ice formed from the cold then melts and voila, a water leak. Another common indication, is the presence of multiple attempts to solve the leak, all unsuccessful, because it isn't a water leak, it is an air leak into the attic or wall.

Bud

Old 04-05-10, 02:05 AM
Thanks guys!

I had a quick look there (in the rain) and the...calking..i hope that's what you call it on the outside of the window looks a bit sort of old and worn in places. It looks like some of it has came away. I think maybe i should seal that anyway and still have a look at the other areas like the satelite dish and upstairs window.

Is there a special kind of sealer i should use for the outside. Someone suggested a sealer used on boats???

Sheri

Old 04-05-10, 05:02 AM
B
Just a follow up to my post above, since you were out there in the rain. Does it leak when it rains? Seems like an obvious question, but often missed. If it does not leak when raining, that is a big clue as to the cause of the water problem, ie ice dams as XSleeper suggested or the condensation freezing as mentioned above.

Sounds like the caulking needs to be replaced anyway .

Bud

Last edited by Bud9051; 04-05-10 at 05:03 AM. Reason: sp again :(
Old 04-05-10, 05:36 AM
Hey Bud,

I was just chatting to my boyfriend about this and he says it happens when it's rain and wind and he's right. When it's just normal rain it doesnt leak. When is stormy weather like severe rain and wind it leaks. It doesnt do it in the snow either and we've had alot of that too this winter.

That's making me think it must be pushing through somewhere?? My mind wanders further haha

Sheri

Old 04-05-10, 05:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
I'd start with replacing the caulking. Wind driven rain will put the water where it won't normally go. It's possible the old caulk is still good enough to keep normal rain out but can't combat wind driven rain.... but keep an eye out for any other areas where wind driven rain might cause a problem

Old 04-05-10, 06:16 AM
B
Thanks Sheri,

That's the type of information we need

Bud

Old 04-05-10, 06:33 AM
Excellent. I'll replace it the 1st dry spell we get here.

What a great forum, i'm so excited about fixing this now haha!

SheriBeer 4U2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: