Cedar shake roof questions

Old 04-05-10, 04:21 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cedar shake roof questions

Hi:

I live in Silicon Valley and have a single story house. I used an electric pressure washer to clean and do some maintenance on my long neglected wood shake roof. Some of the wood had clumps of green moss attached to the ends. Removing the moss with the pressure washer exposed some very frayed edges that are perhaps 3/4 - 1" shorter. So, the questions are:

1. Should I be concerned about the frayed edges? Should I trim each edge so that it is a neat straight line?

2. Which wood pieces should I replace? If the shake is split, does that automatically mean I should replace it? I was going to replace any pieces that were loose or showed a hole, but was not sure if that is adequate. What about cupped ones?

3. What kind of sprays should I use once the power washing is done? I assume I need to put in some kind of wood preservative, but I don't know what to buy or where to get one. Is there anything else I should spray? Are there fire retardant chemicals?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks!

Old 04-06-10, 03:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 850 Upvotes on 746 Posts
It's been a long time since I've cleaned and sealed a cedar shake roof. IMO it's better to rely more on cleaning agents than a PWer alone. Using a bleach/water solution will help with the cleaning process and allow you to use less pressure [means less damage to the shakes]

Your local paint store [not a paint dept] can help you choose the best coating for your job. While there is a line of interior latex paint with a fire rating, I'm not aware of any such coating for the exterior.

As a painter, I've not done any repairs [other than minor] to a wood shake roof so I'll leave the answer to that question for someone else to answer

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: