Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Aluminum Roof Coating - Waste of Money on 20 year old roof ?

Old 04-09-10, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a 20 year old flat roof ? Torchdown method of some sort....It's not the roll torchdown stuff that I have seen the guys do in these parts of the woods sbs with asphalt. It has probably seen 2 -3 coats of aluminum coating throughout the years.

AFAIK, the oils in the rubber will leech over to the top over time. Especially on a 20 year old roof...

With that said, the current state of condition of my flat roof presents no leaks, Very minor areas with a small puddles, and the top layer if you want to call it that shows cracking all over. Some areas with *air pockets* where even though the top is completely solid. The top is solid with whatever the last top alumin. coating was put on, lots of superficial cracks and alot of areas where you know it's not fully adhered to the roof material.

So just short of putting the aluminum coating for it's reflectivity purposes, am I wasting $$$ on the better grade aluminum coatings. Instead of the usual $75 5 Gallon Stuff, I was looking at Karnack #298 at $115 per 5 Gallon. It's a SBS rubber modified asphalt....

Hell, it it forms a mil layer of rubber coat on top, I don't mind the slight $$ difference.

The next time will just be a rip and repair with whatever the latest best flat roof technology is right now - which appears to be 8IB PVC Roofing

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-10, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the roof membrane is in good shape a good coating will give you a few more years. QWorth the couple hundred probably.
Ib is not the worlds best roof by the way.
You could get a lifetime prorated warranty just like theirs from genflex at half the cost.