Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

What are questions to ask a roofer - Also cooper pipe to reduce mildew stains

Old 04-13-10, 07:30 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm in the market for replacing my existing roof, what are some specific questions I should ask all potential roofers? Questions that pretain to the job, questions that will not pop up additional surprise charge, questions that only give me the bottom line.

My cuurent roofing material is asphalt shingels. I don't know the square footage of my roof, but the house has 3000 sq ft of living space and it's two story.

Also, all the homes in my area have mildew stains on the northern side of the roofs. I think it's the northern side, but it's defiantely the same side on all the homes. I've read in the past that cooper creates a chemical reaction to water that prevents mildew from forming.

Is this theory correct? Is it out the ordinary to ask a roofer to run a copper pipe across the northern side of the roof?

What other suggestions can you suggest to a homeowner who's looking for a roofer?

Old 04-13-10, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
As to the copper pipe thing...

There are strips that can be placed under the upper course of shingles that will leach something down when it rains to prevent the mold and other fungi...

They are zinc...not copper though. Heres one brand...Shingle Shield, Deck Cleaner, Zinc Protector, Fungus.

Any roofing supply should carry something similar.

Old 04-20-10, 05:53 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can buy shingles that are algae resistant and that should take care of the problem. Main question. Will the shingles be installed as per manufactures instructions?
Then how long will you warranty your work?
All roof penetrations shall have new weather proofing flashing/boots.
My yard will look like you have never been here.
Are the materials properly disposed of?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: