Hip Roof over Patio

Old 04-14-10, 01:26 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hip Roof over Patio

Hi, long time DIYer, first time poster. Just hope I have the right forum here though.

I'm working on submitting a set of plans to our city for putting a 12' x 14' hip roof with an open ceiling over our patio. The roof itself is quite simple, so I don't have any questions about that, but my main question comes from having to support the roof over the 4 6"x6" treated posts at the corners.

I'm planning on setting the posts at each of the corners, and running 2x6's between the posts to create the frame for which the roofing members will sit on (much like it would a top of a wall). A birds mouth will basically be cut out for the commons and jacks to fit over this frame.

My question is how would I attach the 2x6 frames to the posts (which would be on the inside corners of this frame). I wanted to put 2 lag bolts through the 2x6 and through the 6x6 post, but for the adjacent 2x6, the lag bolts would be running into the ones that are already there for the other side. So what do I do?

Here's what the corner looks like on the post.

Last edited by Photovor; 04-14-10 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-15-10, 05:54 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Lag Bolts

You stagger the spacing. Measure carefully. One set slightly low and the other set slightly high.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: