A safe way to reach the soffit?

Old 04-20-10, 05:22 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A safe way to reach the soffit?

Hello all... I have a bunch of bats living in my soffit and vaulted ceilings. I have begun to take down the soffit to place one way doors so the bats can't get back in. Working on a ladder over my head is scaring the bejezies out of me. My home is a split level walkout. The highest point is about 20 feet up. I called a few rental places to see about scaffolding but they want $350.00 for one month. A freind told me about wall bracers or wall jacks the old timers used. Does anyone know how to make these, or have any better way to do this job? I have 20 inch overhangs, so I need to be able to work out about three feet from the sides of the house.

Old 04-20-10, 06:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
A pair of extension ladders, a pair of ladder jacks, and an aluminum walk plank would get you where you needed to be. Ladder jack planks must be no higher than 20', the maximum height limit that OSHA places on ladder jack scaffolds. - not that a homeowner is bound by OSHA rules, but it's always a good guideline. Fall protection should be used if over 10 ft.

Wall jacks (carpenter's bracket scaffold) can be dangerous if improperly installed. I guess the same could be said for any scaffold.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: