replace or re-frame flat roof

Old 04-21-10, 12:30 PM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
replace or re-frame flat roof

I have a small flat roof over a single room (approx. 13'x13') added onto my 2 story colonial. The flat roof is over 18 years old and leaks only in the winter when we have heavy snow and freeze/thaw cycles (northeast Ohio). There are no obvious tears or bubbles but the surface is somewhat alligatored. I know that sometime more than 18 years ago, this roof collapsed in the middle but I am not sure that is relevant at this point.

My question is: do I replace the roof with a new EPDM membrane (and is this an average DIY task) or could I build a gable to match the one on the garage (DIY? use rafters or truss?) ?

Roofing Photos: Picasa Web Albums - Peter - roof

Old 04-21-10, 04:55 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would just replace the roof. Don't try to match what's on the garage. I never did one, so I can't say if you can DIY or not.

Old 04-22-10, 12:21 PM
I'd just replace the roof. But IMHO installing EPDM isnt a DIY task. But if you research it and feel confident enough that you could do it right why the hell not?! We all have to learn some how.

Old 05-06-10, 05:28 PM
G
Thats a perfect candidate for a torch down modbit roof right over the old one. It will last 20yrs if done right.
Or with some skill a new epdm would be great to. But if done wrong it could be a real nightmare.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-06-10 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Soliciting not allowed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: