Basic questions re: roof tar

Old 04-26-10, 01:25 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basic questions re: roof tar

Is hot tar "better" than cold application tar? How doable is it for 1 person to apply some hot tar to a roof? Will I need to rent some equipment? I have about a 400 square foot area that I want to sweep the small white roofing gravel off of, then apply hot tar, then paint it white with Henry's white tar. My house has 3 layers of roofing (built in '56). There's some leaking just under the eaves outside in one area only (not inside). I've tried using the cold application tar over the eaves but that didn't stop the leaking, so now I'm ready to go all the way to the top of the roof because I suspect the leak is farther up. There's very little pitch to my roof.

Old 04-27-10, 10:38 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Homeowner and hot tar? Not very likely. If there is no standing water. You could use an elastomeric coating. One coat of primer over the weathered/seasoned (not fresh) tar then two coats elastomeric. It comes in white. 5gal buckets. Water based and easy to use and clean up.

Old 04-27-10, 01:26 PM
I
I'm familiar with the white elastomeric. I will see if Henry's makes primer.

Old 05-06-10, 06:19 PM
G
Sorry but you can slop as much goo on that roof as you want and it will still leak. When a built up roof is done its done. Resurfacing will only be temporary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: