Build Out Roof Line

Old 05-12-10, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Build Out Roof Line

Hello Good People at DoItYourself.com. See my pics below. I am having a new roof put on soon. I had some ice damming on my roof thru the years and want to build out a portion of my roof line. The first 2 or 3 roof plywood deck is swollen from ice damming and will need to be replaced. We will see others that may need replaced once we remove the old shingles down to the plywood.

See 22 inch by 22 foot bump out on the north side of my house. The roof line stops at the edge of the bump out and doesn't have an eve. The roofer plans to sister on to existing trusses and extend the roof line out another 21 inches-planned. There is 4 foot between the fence line(property line) and the bump out wall. He should have 2 foot clearance between roof edge and property line so the 21 inch build out should be fine. He plans on going back into the existing trusses at least 4 foot and bolt into existing to provide the roof extension. The house eves are 2 foot around the house except for this area so this new build out should blend well with the old.

My question is: how many bolts should be placed in each truss? He may not get the entire 4 foot back into each existing truss so how many bolts should be placed per single foot? Can you think of anything else I may need to consider by looking at my pictures? Thank you all for your great help thru the years!

Four foot clearance between bump out wall and fence(property) line.

That is driftwood I set on the fence awhile back to the right in 2nd pic. It looks like a dead animal sticking up there. hahaha!

Last edited by Raemarti; 05-12-10 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-12-10, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
You might look into what building requirements are in your locale. In some areas there is a set back requirement, so you might not want to assume that you can build right up to your property line, or even within 2 ft of it. One would think that your "air space" is yours, but you'd be wise to ask.

Old 05-12-10, 06:36 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, I will give the city of call on the proper clearance. But you know.........there are no city inspectors ever, never allowed in the my yard! I'll take the broom to them!!!

Old 05-12-10, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
Ha ha! Well, play nice with them. You want to do things by the book so that if you ever go to sell the house you won't have any problems down the road.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: