Putting on a second asphalt roof

Old 05-16-10, 04:56 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Putting on a second asphalt roof

I was thinking of installing a second roof over the first one which is about 23 years old but is still in decent shape, no shingles curling or roof leaks. My question concerns where the A frame addition roof shingles will meet the vinyl siding against the side of the house. If I install the second roof do I butt it up against the J channel which holds the siding and then use roofing cement or do I have to remove the J channel and then reposition it higher to slide the asphalt shingle under it and also stager the individual aluminum flashing peices for each shingle going up the side of the house. Or is there something else I should do. Thanks

Old 05-19-10, 04:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I know you hate this answer, but "it depends". Was the original roofing flashed properly? If you don't know, then you will probably need to investigate, possibly pull the j channel and some of the siding to ensure it is properly step flashed. Then, after the shingles and flashing are installed, you can reapply your siding. You may have to make that adjustment to the j channel and cut the bottoms of the siding off a little.

Old 05-20-10, 10:59 AM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Putting on a second roof

The original roof flashing was put on properly and never leaked. Do I still have to remove the J channel and cut the siding to get the shingles under it. If so I will but I was also curious how a typical roofing contractor would handle a job like this on a standard house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: