Gable Vents

Old 05-18-10, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gable Vents

My new-construction L-shaped wood frame garage is 12' x 18' (216 sq. ft.) with a side room 6' x 8' (48 sq. ft.). The garage has a 60" high gable roof and the small room is 40" high. I will put soffit vents in both roofs but I would like to put just one 12" x 18" gable vent on one end of the large room. Is that enough air flow? I'd like to keep the other gable wall for a stationary window. If I need another vent, can it be on the gable end of the small room?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-10, 08:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 283 Votes on 259 Posts
Since warm air rises, soffit vents (your air intake) work best with either ridge vents or lomanco can vents (your exhaust) that are located near the ridge of the roof. I'd steer you in that direction.

But if they are not an option, you definitely would want 2 gable vents. For an attic that size (rounding up to 300sq ft), you want roughly 2 sq ft of ventilation. Half should be intake (1 sq ft soffit vents) and half should be exhaust (1 sq ft roof vents ). If you have gable vents you might want to exceed that a little since you may not get an even exhaust flow out of the gables. That's one of the benefits of ridge vents, an even distribution of exhaust air along the entire ridge line.

Old 05-21-10, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gable Vents

Thanks, Sleeper.
I see your point and decided I can put a 12" x 18" vent on each gable and still have room for a small "decorative" window on the one end.