roof leak

Old 05-23-10, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
roof leak

I flashed the shed roof where it meets the side of the house ,with
some alum. flashing, the top 8 inches tucked up under the siding and the bottom 8 over the metal roof panels. Its 40 ft long.
its not tight to the roofing ,there is a gap because of all the ridges in the profile of the sheets..
It finally leaked when snow damned up so much that water went up and under the flashing and thru where the osb meets the top. But it only happened once in a year so not to bad.
I didnt caulk that joint because I thought the flashing would be sufficient. oh well.
I thought of taking 16 inch pieces of the same roofing and flattening only the top that will go under the siding but leaving the bottom with the profile so I can form fit it on the roof panels
and caulk along the edge and it will seal good.
Has anyone done this...roll the top flat and blend it in with the profile bottom half and bend it slightly to have it sit right..??? roofers..??

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-10, 09:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 285 Votes on 261 Posts
you didn't mention what kind of metal roofing this is. No picture to look at. They make foam closure that conforms to some types of metal roofing. The foam closure would go between your roofing and your flashing.

Old 05-24-10, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the most common profile in 26 gauge forgot what they call it.