help again re: roof

Old 11-27-00, 07:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

okay, i decided on the color, had the roof installed. looks good to the untrained eye (me).

question re: new ridge vent. quote said "continuous cobra" vent. when i look at the house from the outside, it just looks like plain old shingles at the top of the house, but i know that a vent was cut, because i can see (&feel) from inside attic. what is the cobra vent supposed to look like from outside? should it be dome shaped, like i see on some other houses? or could it be that shingles are covering the vent. the shingles at the ridge do not appear to be raised from the house at all.

guess i should've found out before i signed the quote.

oh, also, some small chunks of wood fell from the inside roof of the house, to the attic floor. told the roofer about, he didn't really do anything about, sez the job is complete. the house is an older house, so wood might be brittle?

Old 11-29-00, 11:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Cobra ridge vent is a product of GAF Materials Corp. It is an open nylon matrix webbing/matting. These products typically are 3/4" to 1" in thickness thick by 8-10" wide. It is a "shingle-over" style vent; that is, shingles are installed over the vent, covering it. The shingles over the vent will be raised up approximately 1/2" to 3/4" from the last row of shingles. This condition is typically visible from the ground.

If installed properly, the deck should be cut back from the ridge approx. 2" on each side (see mfr's instructions). If this was done, the nylon matrix should be seen from the attic. Product information and installation instructions may be available through GAF...try their website: http://www.gaf.com

Old 11-29-00, 01:14 PM
Visiting Guest
update on roof

okay, i was wrong; i checked the roof and there is not a vent from the inside; i went up there during the daylight, and not one spec of light showing thru. and the outside shingles are attached directly to roof where vent area should be. this guy left a message saying the job is complete, and wants the final payment. what should i do?

Old 11-30-00, 11:38 AM
Visiting Guest
I'm not sure you will be able to see light at this location. If the deck was cut back from the ridge, then the nylon matrix should be visble in this location. Shingles will be installed over the nylon matrix to provide a weatherproof covering, so light may not be readily visible. (On bright, sunny days, you may be able to see some "reflected" light).

I would try to access the roof myself and check the ridge for the venting matrix. You will have to pry up the ridge slighly to see if this material is there or not...maybe even remove a ridge cap shingle or two. You can even take a few photos of this and of the underside in the attic for documentation purposes. If the there is no ridge vent, ask the contractor to install this as stated in his quote -- prior to releasing final payment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: