bad gutter design?

Old 06-03-10, 09:53 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question bad gutter design?

Hello roofing and gutter pro's

Based on the pictures do you think the gutter design is improper. At the top of the house you have approx a 25' by 13' roof draining onto a steeply sloped gable end which is approx 7-8 feet long. I'm having water drainage issues. I temporarly rerouted the downspout...waited for rain...and the side of the house still had massive amounts of water. I dug a trench and built up a slope to keep water from being too close to the foundation. Should I install a bigger gutter for this gable end and larger downspouts? Is there a way to speed down the water coming off top roof onto gable end like to spread out the upper downspout stream before it hits the gable end?

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...k/DSC01267.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...utterview1.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...deofhouse1.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...dugtrench1.jpg

wow...I just took a photo from up above and noticed it is holding a lot of water! Obviously I have to pitch this but since the other side of house had similar issues what is a better way to improve the gutters so this doesn't happen again? get the best hangers? what are the best. I may have rotted wood issues as well. Can I simply just take out the bottom of the soffit siding and install new wood underneath?

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...blegutter2.jpg

Last edited by chrischicago444; 06-03-10 at 11:03 PM. Reason: forgot pictures
Old 06-04-10, 11:49 AM
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
From what I can see in the pictures it looks like only 1/2 the gutter catches water!!! If you would take a straght edge (level) up there and lay it on the roof hanging down to the gutter you will get an idea how the water is running into the gutters. looks to me like the level would hit about the middle of the gutter.
larger gutters will help but if it is real bad you may need to move the gutter away from the soffit. The drip edge needs to just go to the inside edge of the gutter. That way you use the whole gutter to catch water. You will need several more strong hangers to support the gutter if it needs moved away from the soffit. Maybe hangers thru the buildout and the more strap hangers between them that attach to the roof.If that upper gutter runs into the lower gutter, then I would move it out of the gutter and run it by itself. The extra water hampers the lower gutters draining. Also I would increase the downspout size. Run them all the way to the ground then hook them to your drain pipe to direct them out away from the house.
Roof sheathing needs to be replaced from the top side. I know of no way to install sheathing from the attic or soffit area. You need to see why the spots holding water are low and correct that as you replace the sheathing.

Old 06-05-10, 04:00 AM
C
From what I can see in the pictures it looks like only 1/2 the gutter catches water!!! If you would take a straght edge (level) up there and lay it on the roof hanging down to the gutter you will get an idea how the water is running into the gutters. looks to me like the level would hit about the middle of the gutter.

Yes I will pitch this or put new bigger gutter at correct pitch

larger gutters will help but if it is real bad you may need to move the gutter away from the soffit. The drip edge needs to just go to the inside edge of the gutter. That way you use the whole gutter to catch water.

Are you suggesting hanging the gutter permanently away from soffit thereby having open space between gutter and soffit and then bridge this gap with a dripedge? Are you saying a dripedge helps drain water better into a gutter? I dont believe there is a dripedge on there now. would I be able to install a dripedge without having to remove shingles? it just slips on the edge of the plywood> would you use nails or glue?
You will need several more strong hangers to support the gutter if it needs moved away from the soffit. Maybe hangers thru the buildout and the more strap hangers between them that attach to the roof.If that upper gutter runs into the lower gutter, then I would move it out of the gutter and run it by itself. The extra water hampers the lower gutters draining.

Yes the very top roof drains onto these steeply sloped roofs. Are you suggesting a separate downspout line for the top roof? That would work but there is no way I can get up that high.....thats craaaazy

Also I would increase the downspout size. Run them all the way to the ground then hook them to your drain pipe to direct them out away from the house.

I plan on doing this. I thought if I would just make it all bigger(gutter and downspout) and bury the lines I would be done with this nightmare

Roof sheathing needs to be replaced from the top side. I know of no way to install sheathing from the attic or soffit area. You need to see why the spots holding water are low and correct that as you replace the sheathing.

Wait a second...you think the roofing sheathing under the shingles is bad? ok. I made the assumption that the soffit wood may be rotted as someone has mentioned that before- but it could very well be the sheathing hmmm. Because I thought if the soffit is bad then how the heck are the hangers going to be secure. So some hangers attach to the soffit face and other hangers attach directly under the shingles?

Thanks for your input. I will be coming up with some plan and your suggestions have been helpful !

Old 06-05-10, 07:54 AM
D
If your fascia is only 3/4" material secured to the rafters, then the hangers need to be anchored into the rafters. If you have 2x material behind the facia then it isn't as much of an issue to be in the rafters.

I'm not a gutter expert, but I don't think the position of the gutter is the problem. My gutter is positioned in a similar matter and I thought the same thing. That the water just shoots straight over the gutter. The truth is, gravity is a hell of a thing. I've gone out when it was raining and observed the water falling straight into the gutter. Tom Silva on TOH recommends putting a straight edge on the slope of the roof and positioning the outside edge of the gutter no higher then that line so when snow and ice slide of the roof in the winter, it doesn't take the gutter down with it.

After you get your gutters pitched properly, look for other causes. The grading of the property could be a big reason for all the water being there.

Old 06-05-10, 12:35 PM
C
Originally Posted by drooplug View Post
If your fascia is only 3/4" material secured to the rafters, then the hangers need to be anchored into the rafters. If you have 2x material behind the facia then it isn't as much of an issue to be in the rafters.

I'm going to have to get up there and see what if anything is still solid. I don't know much about fasia and soffit siding but I hope I can remove a bottom panel underneath and from there I can add some new wood. I really would like to avoid having to strip everything down.

I'm not a gutter expert, but I don't think the position of the gutter is the problem. My gutter is positioned in a similar matter and I thought the same thing. That the water just shoots straight over the gutter. The truth is, gravity is a hell of a thing. I've gone out when it was raining and observed the water falling straight into the gutter. Tom Silva on TOH recommends putting a straight edge on the slope of the roof and positioning the outside edge of the gutter no higher then that line so when snow and ice slide of the roof in the winter, it doesn't take the gutter down with it.

After you get your gutters pitched properly, look for other causes. The grading of the property could be a big reason for all the water being there.
The water on the ground is all from that whole side of house draining into that ONE gutter which isn't draining so I better fix it! I called for an estimate and a local company has an open date on june 14th......I can't wait that long...its going to be a rainy week. If anything I'm going to rig up something to prop up that end of the gutter....might not be pretty

Old 06-06-10, 02:18 AM
C
Well I made it up the ladder to get a closer look and yes indeed the sheathing is not even there...like it rotted and washed away or something. Pushing up hard on the end of gutter hardly moved the water to the downspout. It is waaay off (there is a slew of rusty nails nailed right through the inside gutter side so someone at one time attempted a repair). So I'm going to erect a 10 foot wood scaffold and then just take care of this. I have replaced sheathing befor but never have atempted taking off shingles from the first course to reinstall. Hopefully it all goes back the way it was before!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: