Leak... somewhere

Old 06-24-10, 10:51 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leak... somewhere

I wasn't sure what category to file this under so I opted for Waterproofing.

I own a 40 yr old home which I purchased about a year ago. We had a big storm this past week, and while scouting around I found water running down the basement wall in a certain area. It appeared to be coming from somewhere on top of or above the foundation along that wall. It's roughly below where our patio door sits on the floor above. We had already suspected that there may be a leak somewhere in that region as the linoleum floor in the room seems to have a couple soft-ish spots and it gets cold spots in winter.

Assuming this leak is somewhere either around the door or the wall itself, what do I do next? I have no idea what signs to look for or what kind of individual/company to call for repair. (The door itself is well beyond warranty.)

Old 06-25-10, 05:10 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You should carefully inspect the entire area, water can travel sideways so don't limit your inspection to directly above. Look for any signs a gap between two connected surfaces. If you see something suspicious put the house to it and see if you can recreate the leak. If nothing is obvious the spray the whole side one section at a time but give each section time for the water to travel to the basement.

Old 06-25-10, 10:29 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
At the base of the door there are slabs, and between two of the slabs it looks like whatever was used to join them has eroded away to almost nothing.

I took a couple pictures...

I wouldn't be surprised if this is at least part of the problem. I have windows that use the same type of slabs at the base showing various degrees of erosion in the joint. Should I fill this gap in? What type of material?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: