flat garage roof repair, epdm, fascia, soffit questions

Old 06-27-10, 08:02 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
flat garage roof repair, epdm, fascia, soffit questions

We have a duplex and our city is pretty hardcore about rental property inspections, we have to pay for a yearly one. This year they decided our open air carport roof (low slope, lean-to style) needing fixing. We've only owned the building a year and the previous owners let it get way too bad (rest assured, we got it cheap). So we need to completely tear off the existing rolled roof, and replace some rotted decking, cover the fascia, and repair the soffits.

This was an unexpected expense and with quotes as high as $6000, I can do it myself. I've built entire basements and kitchens, I'm handy and I have most tools, but this will be my first roof.

The existing soffits are wood, and have rotted in a few spots on the lowest edge, the rest are fine. They are unvented but as this is an open ceiling in a carport, ventilation is not a problem. I was going to put up new aluminum soffits but decided wood would be cheaper, I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything too stupid.

You gotta buy the aluminum, cut it up with snips or power snips or a cutting station with a radial arm saw (which I don't have) and a special blade, f channel, j channel, etc. And it'd look funny if I just did the back.

Or, I can get pressure treated plywood and rip it on my table saw (which I do have) to the right width and screw it up with deck screws, prime and paint. I suppose with a properly installed roof pressure treated is overkill, but for a couple extra bucks in a water prone area I'll buy some rot insurance. Since the rest of the building (pretty big, 36x24) is already wood soffits, it'll blend perfectly once painted, and it'll be cheap, I'll need maybe 2 sheets, so $40 around here, plus paint.

Does this sound like it'll be fine? I tried googling around for pressure treated soffits but found no takers.

The roof decking has rot as well, I was planning to use pressure treated for my replacements there too, I did ask one roofer who bid the job and he didn't see why it should be a problem. Again, I know a properly installed roof shouldn't need pressure treated, but a couple bucks for rot insurance is cheap compared to a redecking in the future.

For the fascia I was thinking about using aluminum wrap still, since it does need to be painted more often than the soffits (which face down, not out, obviously) and it can be installed with far less labor and extra bits than aluminum soffits.

That brings me to the roof. It seems to me I can order a 25x36 roll of EPDM roofing, thus being able to install it without any seams, and glue it down, which appears to be roughly the same process as installing glued down flooring, which I've done. And instead of paying as high as $6000, I can do the entire roof for about $1000 in materials and free labor.

The only thing I'm unsure about is doing the drip edge. I've seen conflicting information on that. I gather you don't do it like a normal roof, but I'm not fully sure on how exactly you do it.

Tips, tricks, advice, information, fully appreciated, thank you.

Old 07-16-10, 07:41 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the building and paint are pre-1978, they are lead based paint. Be careful to collect all the old painted wood and chips and wear a dust mask when you do the demolition. The debris from remodeling is the most common cause of lead poisoning for adults and kids. For a rental property, you already know stricter rules apply. Read up on lead paint at Lead Home | Lead in Paint, Dust, and Soil | US EPA.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: