Waterproofing Under the Deck

Old 06-28-10, 09:06 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Waterproofing Under the Deck

We have been searching through your site and the internet in-general to find more information and DIY instructions for:

Waterproofing the underneath portion of our deck, so that we can screen-in the patio and make it a yr-round room.

Our deck is 10' wide by 50' long and is built with 16'
2x4s.

1. What type of flashing would we use on the underside of the deck, next to the house (in the soon-to-be screened in patio), to keep it water-proof ... keep it from leaking when it rains?

2. We are considering two different options for the ceiling of the patio (underside of the deck) ...
(a) metal/aluminum roofing - such as used on some patio roofs or boat storage bldgs. Costs approx. $19 per sheet of 4'x12'.
(b) the heavier option of actual corrugated roofing used on some homes. Costs approx. $28 per sheet of 4'x12'.

We were thinking of running the 'roofing' length ways of the deck to save $$; rather than from the house out to the edge of the deck (10'). We would also have to cut more to allow for posts supporting the deck.

The gutter system would be, unfortunately, on the inside of the posts rather than the outside -- I know its only about 4-6" of space... but every inch counts

If sending pictures of the under-side of our deck would help you understand what we are talking about, please let me know.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Paula & Ron Pedigo

Old 07-01-10, 05:43 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Am I correct in assuming that you are describing a second story deck with a patio below? If that's the case, what about a retractable awning or awnings above the deck, instead of trying to waterproof the deck itself?

Old 07-01-10, 08:12 PM
P
Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
Am I correct in assuming that you are describing a second story deck with a patio below? If that's the case, what about a retractable awning or awnings above the deck, instead of trying to waterproof the deck itself?
Yes, the deck is on the main floor of our home and the patio is on the walk-out basement level.

The awning wouldn't work because we are enclosing the patio (screened in patio) to make it a year-round room with furniture etc. However, I do appreciate the response.

Thanks,
Paula & Ron

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: