joining gutter

Old 07-27-10, 06:15 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 5
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb joining gutter


I have to join two 10ft runs of aluminium k-profile gutter onto either side of a drop section:

The end product will look like in the lower-right corner of this picture:

Now, I have several options of doing the two joins:
  1. using two crimp-on "seamers" to cover the seams between the two 10ft runs and the drop
  2. using two slip-on connectors to connect the two 10ft runs to the drop
  3. getting (or fabricating) a drop section which already has, on either side, the kind of interlocking slip-on connectors do (essentially a double-fold before extrusion to create the slip-on lip)
  4. reduce the ends of the two 10ft runs and slip them into the drop section then mechanically fastened (screws on the front and back)

I cannot go with seamless since one of the two 10ft segments "belongs" to me, while the other one is the neighbour's (who will have to replace her fascia in the coming years and tear the entire thing down again.)

The 10ft runs are pitched 1/2".

Because the joinery is extremely visible (man's height level and right at the entrance) I would prefer methods #3/#4 over #1/#2 because they have the minimal number of seams. However, I have yet to see an off-the-shelf part fitting the bill for #3 -- and #4 is barely mentioned anywhere.

Is there anything obviously wrong with #4?

Old 07-28-10, 12:36 PM
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 6,396
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts

Use seamless at the correct length and cut a hole in the bottom for a downspout connector. The connector is inserted into the hole from the top, sealed with caulk, and riveted to the gutter.

To cut the hole, turn the gutter upside down, mark the cut line using the inside of the connector as a pattern, and cut with a jig saw using a fine toothed, narrow blade. Start the hole by placing a block of wood underneath for support and punching a slot with a hammer and chisel.

Note: One of the big box stores calls the connector a "gutter outlet".

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 07-28-10 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Added note.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: