Reroofing; couple of questions

Old 07-30-10, 09:37 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Reroofing; couple of questions

The house I bought has a 12x16 shed, the roof needs to be repaired. I don't want to have to do a complete rip off as I have no place to dispose of the old shingles. It only has 1 roof on it, but the sucker is steep.

Question 1 How clean does the old roof need to be? There is some (very little) moss on it, but there is a considerable amount of this weird grey scale sort of stuff. I know the moss has to go but do I need to get rid of the grey scaly stuff?

Question 2 The very edge of the roof needs to be cut back a couple of inches due to rot. They never put any drip edge or gutter on it. The Fascia board was in half way fair shape but am replacing it with the new plastic, rot free board. Is there any rule of thumb as to how much over hang it should have? Right now it has roughly 16".

Question 3. I done roofing before, but have never seen a deal like this. It's like they decided to add a front and rear overhang as an after thought. The plywood for the actual roof ends flush with the building. The overhang has to have the 2x4's (rafters) replaced on the front side only. How do I go about this? Can I just take a skill-saw, set it for a real shallow cut right where they joined the 2 sections of plywood on the roof, drop a chalk line for a guide, and just replace that whole part? The 2 bottom edges of that plywood should probably be replaced. I had planed on doing that and using Ice Shield under that seam out to the edge then put the roofing back and re-roof over that? This time running drip edge all the way around the roof.

Any thoughts? Short of tearing the whole thing off and starting from scratch?

Last edited by Home wrecker; 07-30-10 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Hit the shift key and it posted before I was finished
Old 07-31-10, 06:18 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Shed Roof

Others may have a different opinion.

My suggestion is to tear off the old roof to see if you have any concealed damage which needs repair.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but the added overhang may be hiding damage to the original structure.

Good luck with your project.

Old 07-31-10, 06:32 AM
The roof for the most part is in really good shape, except around the edges I mentioned. I was up there yesterday and the stone on the shingle doesn't show signs of wear.
Would it be feasible to try to get the bottom course off and check there? I can see the plywood from outside and I don't see any edge damage, but (there is always a but..) the plywood on the very edge is showing signs of delamination. If I change the fascia board to the plastic rot free stuff would that support the edge enough? Like I said in previous post I plan on putting drip edge all the way around the roof, that should help support the top, yes???? The tailstock on the rafters is solid, except for the 2 on the end that I will be replacing.
This isn't a roof anybody (in their right mind) will be climbing around on.

Old 07-31-10, 12:13 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Shed Roof

Some photos of the problem areas would let us see what you see.

Old 08-01-10, 04:16 PM
Wirepuller
Going with your original suggestion. I went around to the back and when I put the ladder up against the roof the edge gave way. Your were right, It's amazing what a shingle can hide
You were also right I really didn't want to hear itBeer 4U2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: