Ply, shingles, ply, new shingles....

Old 08-11-10, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ply, shingles, ply, new shingles....

I have a contractor that says he can put a new layer of plywood over top of the old shingles and then install new shingles.

So far, everything I've read about this process says to either strip the old shingles and then put new ply directly over the old and then shingles, or to put new shingles directly over the old shingles.

I can't find ANYONE who says it's ok to put new ply over top the old shingles. I asked him specifically if that is what he meant...he said yes.

That would make it: Old ply, old shingles, new ply, new shingles.

I live near Jacksonville.

Would someone please advise me?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-10, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Amazing what some people do/say and get away with. If the original roof deck (ply) is ok..why would anyone spend more for new to put on top of shingles? Slower install, and more expensive than a ripoff. Maybe he doesn't want to pay the disposal fee? Or there is something in FL that says he needs a permit, which he doesn't want to go for?

Run...don't walk...

Old 08-11-10, 01:50 PM
The ply would fly off the roof because of the shorter nail penetration in the first good wind. This guy should not be licensed, probably isn't. Call your B.D. and ask them, be prepared to give his name and phone number.......

Be safe, Gary

Old 08-11-10, 02:40 PM
Thanks to both of you for your answers. That's what I thought and why I checked here. This site is a lifesaver!

I just couldn't see the current shingles being sandwiched between two sheets of ply and being stable or secure. I guess he thought I wouldn't check.

I'm old, not stupid. Why do so many people think the two go hand-in-hand? (Rhetorical question...don't answer...hehe)