Bean Sized hail

Old 08-13-10, 02:45 PM
I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bean Sized hail

Folks,
About 3 weeks ago we had a hailstorm lasted about 20 minutes dropping bean sized hail. Roofers are now swarming around offering roof inspections. I've even seen light aircraft towing reroofing advertisements.
Bean sized hail?? This can damage a roof?
What do the experts think?
Regards

Old 08-13-10, 03:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 625 Likes on 534 Posts
That is a little on the small side IMO but it wouldn't hurt to have somebody look at it. I would not use these ambulance chasers though.

Old 08-13-10, 03:28 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
If it knocks the fiberglass off the shingles, they're going to fail

I'm not sure what the threshold size is

Have you talked to your insurance company?

Old 08-13-10, 03:37 PM
My son just had a roofer contact him about a recent storm. The roofer went up on the roof and recommended a complete new roof because of a few torn shingles and hail damage (the storm did have 3/4"-1" hail about 5 miles away). My son told the roofer they had no hail but said that he thought he had hail damage from an earlier 2 years ago and the roofer said (sometimes the damage does not show immediately). The house has a 1600 sf footprint and is 2 1/2 stories with a few valleys.

My son said "that is between you and insurance inspector" that met when my son was at work and call me before anything is agreed on. Apparently the roofer satisfied the adjuster.

Bottom line is that he got a complete new roof, fascias, gutter and downspouts. The area computation was based on the fly-over/satellite photos, but did not include a 12x12 shed that had to match the home according to city codes. The roofer agreed to include that.

You never know how things turn out if you hold out approval until there is something to approve.

Dick

Old 08-13-10, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,570 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Bean sized hail? LOL I can't imagine that bean size hail would hurt a leaf, let alone a roof. But I suppose it depends on whether or not it was being whipped by 70 mph winds or not.

It's more likely that roofers are looking for insurance work, so they can charge an arm and a leg.

Old 08-13-10, 06:33 PM
I agree about the pea-sized hail just a nuisance that good for photos for the kids.

My son did not have any hail (no vegetation noticed) but he did lose 3 large (only 15') Blue Spruce and the winds were about 60-70 mph, which explains a few missing corners. - I was driving home from there trying to miss the bad weather and ended up going through some worse weather than he had. It just makes for some excitement and no one hurt.

Apparently either my son's damage was real since the adjuster and the contractor were on the roof, but possibly the contractor was a better salesman (or owned the ladder to get down).

It also helps to have a saved bundle of the 3 year old architectural shingles for future ordering.

Dick

Old 08-15-10, 04:07 PM
I
bean Sized hail

Folks, Thanks for the replies. The house roof is about 4 yrs old. The garage roof is about 10 yrs old. I'll see if my roofer wants to check the garage roof as I would expect that would be where I would see first failures. In fact I can get on there and look. I'm looking for black patches that have had the coating knocked off them am I? Also my neighbor is having their insurance company look at theirs. There were no winds to speak of, it did bring twigs off the trees though. No plant damage nor damage to window screens or ac units.

Thanks

Old 08-15-10, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,570 Likes on 1,408 Posts
No plant or screen damage probably means no roof damage. One indicator of damage is the amount of fresh roof granules that recently washed into your gutters, or out onto the ground.

Old 08-17-10, 07:05 AM
I
Bean Sized Hail

Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
No plant or screen damage probably means no roof damage. One indicator of damage is the amount of fresh roof granules that recently washed into your gutters, or out onto the ground.
Good point. Let me take a look.
Thanks for the info.
Regards

Old 08-17-10, 09:27 AM
I worked for the government to verify losses for low interest loans after distasters. We were the opposite of insurance adjusters, but were there to verify the real losses to an owner.

The guideline we used was "What would a person in real life do repair his/her property to make it proper. Roofs and siding are very visual and especially roofs take a beating. You will not be able to match the roofing materials on both the garage and the house due to age, weathering and planned obsolesence of a 30 year "guarantee" surface that may not be available now.

I would defintely try to include the garage roof in the damage, but it likely to have suffered more than the newer roof. If you have a mortgage, your lender would agree since he also has an interest in the property.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: