how do you know if your gutters can handle the volume?

Old 09-07-10, 02:03 PM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
how do you know if your gutters can handle the volume?

I'll post pics if necessary but just wondering how you know if you have enough 'gutter'.

I have one spot in back of my house where I have an estimated 15 ft of gutter. However it's taking water from 2 very large sections of roof and i always thought it was inadequate. Especially when it pours over the edge They even put in what i call an edge/corner guard so when the water comes down the valley it hits and doesnt just overrun everything right away. Of course even if it's not adequate, what can i even do with limited space there?

I have a brand new in ground drainage system with 4 inch pvc for only downspouts so no other water is getting into the sytem. But the gutters themselves are probably 60 years old. Also even right after the were all cleaned out as part of my $$ i paid for the new system underground, the water still overran the gutters in many places, as evidenced by the 'smashed down' grass line all around my house.

I also wondered of traditional downspouts can handle that much water even? In the front of my house i have at least a 60ft run all going into one downspout. poor thing

Old 09-07-10, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 856 Votes on 784 Posts
There are two sizes of downspouts. 2x3 and 3x4. 6 sq in v.s. 12 sq in. 3x4 can theoretically handle twice the volume. So if your gutters are overflowing, the first thing I would do is make the change to the larger downspouts. You will also need a larger drop installed in the gutter, and the correct adapter to go from 3x4 to your 4" pvc.

Old 09-12-10, 11:01 AM
L
i measured and i have the 2x3. so based on the pics here, could i easily get the right adapters into my setup? does that mean changing the end of the gutter itself.not that it doesnt need done, it does leak.

Old 09-12-10, 01:54 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It may not just be the size of your downspout, but also the size of the gutter itself. Sixty feet into one small downspout sounds like a lot of water to me. I would try to get another downspout on that gutter and slant it accordingly.

Gutter Guards, Gutters, Gutter Machines, Rain Chains - Gutter Supply has a ton of stuff you can browse through and see what is available.

Old 09-14-10, 07:25 AM
L
yea i always thought , especially in that pic above of the back of the house, that the gutter was too narrow. I'm assuming they do sell wider. the spot in the pic above is only about 15ft of gutter but with that huge volume of 2 roofs coming off it, no wonder it overflows.

i've finally gotten in gear and bought 40 pieces of gutter guard ill be putting up soon. i guess there's a chance the gutter is clogged and thats what's causing the overrun, but they just cleaned it all out when they did the drainage so i doubt thats the situation.

the 60 ft section is also problematic in front of the house BUT since i already had the drainage system put in, i cannot tap into it now without a huge undertaking. so i'm stuck. I guess i should have asked questions. though now that you mentioned it, i wonder if i could just put another downspout literally next to the existing and just dig things up right there because i'd know where the underground PVC was. Hmmm interesting idea. If it would work i would do it but i dont know if there's any guarantee it would. But then the water coming from both ways, meeting in the middle, would then have 2 places to go. and there's no room for the underground pipe to move so even if i dug it all out, i dont know how i'd get a new T in there.

The good news is that in the front of the house at least, all the overrun is not getting into the house. that much i'm sure of as i've been under the house in the rain and no water in front of the crawlspace, just pouring in the rear.

i'm guessing the underground drainage up front is handling all the overrun gutter water so except for crushed grass and the actual pouring over the edge of the gutter, no harm no foul.

Last edited by luckydriver; 09-14-10 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-02-10, 06:17 AM
L
UPDATE:

i'll probably post pics of the entire house someday but meanwhile i wanted to report the my excavator came by during the hurricane here and he said even if he digs out and fixes my exterior perimeter that theres too much water coming off the roofs and that it overruns the gutter and gets behind the membrane he put in.

now that i know this will be dug up , maybe i can figure out a way to get more water off the roof 'better'

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: