Stairway To The Roof

Old 09-14-10, 02:19 AM
B
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Lightbulb Stairway To The Roof

Next year I will have to re-shingle my garage roof, 26x40. I just finished staining and realized I'm too old (59) to be carrying bundles of shingles up there on a ladder.

So...I'm thinking of building temporary stairs to the roof. Buy two pretty long 2x12s, cut them like regular stairs and nail them just under the 2' overhang which would be about 7' from the ground. I'm thinking 2' wide would be plenty.

Haven't figured the rise and run but I'd like the steps to be for (2) 2x6. I'll use two 2x4 with a gap, it's only temporary.

Would this work? The 2x12 would be sort of long, would I need some support in the middle?

I don't know but it seems like a heck of a good idea, anything beats going up and down a ladder.

Thanks

Baldwin

Old 09-14-10, 04:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
I've spent all my working life on ladders but my biggest concern with your idea is the lack of railing. IMO it would be easy to loose your balance, especially if carrying a load up the stairs.

They used to deliver shingles directly to the roof so check that out before buying them.

Old 09-14-10, 06:02 AM
W
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Shingles on the Roof

Rent a shingle lift. An electric powered carriage runs on a metal track similar to a ladder and carries bundles of shingles from the ground to the roof. You will need a helper on the ground to load the lift while you unload the bundles on the roof.

Old 09-16-10, 06:02 PM
B
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I was thinking of getting some people to help with the tear off and putting down paper then doing the shingling myself. I'm thinking a couple weeks or so, depending on the weather. Just do a little each day.

When I built this 21 years ago the roofing took a while. I snapped a line every 5 rows or so to keep everything straight. Also, didn't like every other row to line up so I went with every third row, more cutting and time. Hey, first thing I'd ever built.

That's another problem with the "golden years".....I can't imagine any of my friends on my roof, including myself, unless I have to.

PS: hey White Sox, eat our dust!! Beer 4U2

Baldwin

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: