Does gutter sealant need to be smoothed out?

Old 09-14-10, 06:14 AM
W
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does gutter sealant need to be smoothed out?

Should sealant be smoothed out or can it be left beaded about 2-3 cm high?

I'm not an expert, but I would think leaving it beaded that high would hamper the flow of water and could cause water to sit and pool. I do have kids, so I don't want this to be a breeding ground for mosquitos.

I just had my gutter repaired from a FedEx truck backing into it. The contractor I used had his guy come out sunday to replace the corner and one run along the side of my house. I was displeased that the installer left without saying he was done, as I was home at the time. I went on the roof to check out his work and noticed that he did not smooth out any of the sealant he installed. I now have a bead of sealant around my downspout about 2-3 cm high. I can't see how water would be able to flow smoothly down this spout. He also left a bead of sealant along both sides of the corner peace about 2-3 cm high. I called out the contractor yesterday to look at it, as none of my other gutters have this much sealant and are pretty much smooth. He claims the guy was just trying to prevent leaks since it is over my entry way and that any water that would remain would evaporate in no time. His conclusion, it shouldn't be a problem. He simply pressed down on the sealant to flatten it a little, but it is still raised quite a bit. When I showed him my other downspouts that have minimal sealant around the edges (they were installed correctly with the sealant on the underside of the downspout flange), he claims they must have been weilded in... I'm starting to think this guy is a fast talker.

However, I am still not convinced. I do have pictures I can upload when I get home tonight, but just wanted to hear some expert opinions on this.

Should I make him come back out to remove the sealant, then put new sealant on, but smooth it out this time?

Old 09-14-10, 05:53 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I would water test it. Use a hose to flood it with water. See what happens.

Old 09-15-10, 01:16 PM
W
Thanks Pulpo, I actually am planning to do that hopefully today after work if it isn't raining. If it does rain, I will see what happens with that and then flood it with water. Here are some pics of the work this guy did... Contractor kept telling me his guy has 25 years experience... Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist, but I think I could have done better.

Imageshack - 023pyi.jpg

Imageshack - 025n.jpg

Imageshack - 030fk.jpg

Imageshack - 031lz.jpg

Imageshack - 032fu.jpg

Imageshack - 033em.jpg

Imageshack - 034elb.jpg

Imageshack - 038hl.jpg

Imageshack - 041b.jpg

Imageshack - 042ev.jpg

Old 09-15-10, 01:21 PM
W
Not sure why the images are not showing, but the links work.

Old 09-15-10, 02:01 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I can see the images. I don't think that so much sealant was needed but even if I thought it would bother the water flow, I don't know how it could be corrected. It can't be sanded. You would be there forever with a utility knife.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: