How to drive in nail under asphalt shingle

Old 09-16-10, 01:35 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to drive in nail under asphalt shingle

Upon inspecting my roof after my ceiling started leaking, I found an asphalt shingle that looked a little raised. Feeling underneath it I can tell a nail under it has popped up a bit. What's the safest way to get the nail back in without damaging the shingle? I assume hitting the shingle directly with a hammer is a bad way of driving the nail back in. Would covering the shingle with a piece of wood and hitting that be okay?

Old 09-16-10, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats what I do...or a flat prybar. Though if it raised once..it may again.

Old 09-16-10, 01:56 PM
T
I was also going to put some plastic cement under the shingle to glue it down. I don't actually think it's the source of the leak I've got at the moment, as it seems a little too far off to the side of it, but I don't want it to be the start of another.

Old 09-16-10, 05:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
On a cool morning, lift the shingle up and you will see the offending nail. Pull it out and put a nail in a new location. Driving the nail back in the same hole won't fix it.

Old 09-16-10, 06:35 PM
T
Won't the cement help seal it into place?

I'm pretty sure that if I lift the shingle enough to get the nail out and to put it back in, I'll end up damaging the shingle, and I definitely don't have the skills to fix that. I probably shouldn't be messing with it at all, but I have no choice since a recent big rain (or maybe it's just the time of year) has ensured that no roofers will even return phone messages. I've given up on getting anyone to come out to hunt down and fix the leak.

Old 09-17-10, 04:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
After you re nail the shingle below, yes, the cement will help re adhere the shingle tab back down. If the original nail poked it's head above the shingle, use some cement on that area, too. That is why I said get up on the roof before it gets hot. Less chance of tearing a melted shingle than a fresh one. You can do it. Let us know how things go.

Old 09-17-10, 05:17 PM
D
You also don't want a cold shingle either.

Old 09-18-10, 07:19 AM
W
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have access to inspect underneath the roof sheathing like in an attic? That would be the best place to look for a leak. Roof leaks are most common around penetrations in the roof like chimneys and vent pipes.

I'm not a roofer, but I prefer working with warm shingles. I find them easier to lift and bend without tearing. When you lift the shingle to fix the pulled nail, prop it up so that you can use both hands. I use a flat bar to drive a new nail. I hammer on the bar and not on the shingle. Once the nail is in dab some sealer on the head. If you have acess to the roof from below and can locate the pulled nail you may be able to pull it back in and clinch it from the inside. I did that on my garage. Otherwise you should put in another nail.

The shingle should have an adhesive strip to hold it down. If that has failed use an asphalt shingle adhesive that you can get at a big box. It comes in a tube like caulk.

After you replace the nail put a sandbag on the shingle to get it to lie flat.

Old 09-18-10, 04:42 PM
T
I went up today and did what I could with it. Unfortunately, there is no attic or crawlspace, so it's just a shot in the dark whether I sealed anything connected with the leak. I didn't have the nerve to pull the nail - it was around the middle of the shingle and I would have had to unstick the side that was still stuck down to get it. The nail was only very slightly raised, maybe 1/8 inch at most, so I'll just have to hope it will stay down with the reglued shingle.

I did a thorough search and found another nail head that wasn't raised but wasn't under a shingle or covered with tar, or whatever they're supposed to be covered with. I smeared some of the cement on it as well.

The one other question I had is about the shingles at the very edge of the roof. None of them are stuck down. There is another shingle underneath, but shouldn't the top ones be stuck down to prevent the wind from lifting them and letting the rain get at those bottom shingles and the nails in them?

Old 09-20-10, 07:36 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Shingle adhesive can fail, I tack loose tabs down with roofing cement - I would have lifted the shingle to put in a new nail and then put roofing cement in place of the old adhesive

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: