are these 2x4s load bearing

Old 09-18-10, 08:13 AM
L
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
are these 2x4s load bearing

can i remove them for a week while i'm working on insulating the attic?

the one in the center and the one to the right of it, i'd keep the one with the grey boxes intact

also can i take a few out of this row as well? maybe every 4th one...i'm not small and getting back there to install baffles wont be so fun

Old 09-18-10, 08:54 AM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say they are not load bearing. the roof load is carried from the peak down the joists to the outside wall of the house.

Old 09-18-10, 09:49 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't take them out without an engineers advice. I don't have any idea as to why they would be there to begin with if they weren't structural. The rafters may be too long to make their span without additional support.

Old 09-18-10, 10:14 AM
L
ok thanks , so i guess even, about 2ft out, putting a temporary 2x4 on one of the joists wouldnt be wise either? I guess that one long floor member is tied into the outside frame?

disappointing because in the 1st pic thats my only access for getting to a wall that needs more insulation

Old 09-18-10, 10:22 AM
L
if you take a peek at a few pics here, notice the lack of 2x4s on this side of the house. so either they arent necessary...or they are wrong and should have had them there?

http://forum.doityourself.com/insula...ns-needed.html

Old 10-07-10, 02:12 PM
L
update:

i have a new but related issue. there are no pics of it but basically to get into the 'room' above my kitchen, i really need to remove one of the 2x4s that make up the wall there. I'm just not that skinny lol. . the area barely has any insulation so it's one of those must do areas....i was thinking of, the day of the insulation, putting another 2x4 about 2ft either in or outside the wall(have to see which makes more sense) of the room, over a joist of course ( so i could get by) then nailing it into the rafter.... it would be up for just a few hours. then i'd put the other 2x4 back. what do you think?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: