Installing Gable Vent - Wood Cedar Shake Siding

Old 09-30-10, 11:28 AM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Gable Vent - Wood Cedar Shake Siding

Hi all,

I'm refinishing my garage and would like to install a Gable Vent to vent the small area between the cross joists and roof before I sheetrock. Should I take off the shakes outside one by one, install the vent then reinstall the shakes? Or, should I lay out my template on the inside sheathing, drill holes in each corner, run a chalk line corner to corner then use a circular saw to cut-out the hole from the outside?

Thanks

FC

Old 09-30-10, 12:02 PM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
It depends how careful you measure and cut. If I were doing it I would remove plenty of shakes, cut the opening and install the vent. Then when reinstalling the shakes you can do a nice job on reinstalling them. No chance for a messed up cut and having to buy new shakes that won't match to repair the damage.

Old 09-30-10, 12:05 PM
W
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The easiest way is probably just cut out the opening and shove in the vent.

However, I would carefully remove the shakes and then cut the opening. That will allow you to weather flash the area around the opening. I would also frame the opening on the inside to provide a solid nailing surface for attaching the vent. It also provides a flat surface for the vent flange to sit on.

After the vent is in place you can caulk around the vent and replace the shakes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: