Problem with new roof

Old 10-03-10, 03:40 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with new roof

In May of this year I hired a roofing contractor to install a new roof on my house. The house is a 1.5 story Cape. The previous owners converted the attic to bedroom space, with 2 skylights. The install seemed to go well, however he did not remove the 2 skylights & left approx. 1 ft. of the old shingles {2 layers} surrounding the 2 skylights. He installed a layer of new shingles over the old ones. His reasoning was that he did not want to remove them as he was afraid they would leak. About 2 days after he was done we had a heavy rain storm & water entered onto my living room ceiling. He came & resealed around the skylights with some type of adhesive. All was well until about a month ago when I noticed the ceiling paint bubbling in a downstairs bedroom, now I have an area of about 2 sq. ft. where the paint is peeiling off, exposing the sheetrock. This area is directly below the skylight upstairs. However, there seems to be no water intrusion in the upstairs bedroom, everything looks fine, no leaks etc. My question is can water be somehow wicking thru the roof/skylight onto the downstairs bedroom ceiling if this skylight is leaking? I don't see why the upstairs ceiling is dry, while downstairs there is evidence of water intrusion. I need advise on how to proceed as winter is coming. What do u guys think? I now realize that I should have insisted that he remove the skylights & old shingles & install new flashing. I have contacted this contractor twice. Yesterday, he did not return my call & about 10 days ago when he said he would look at it. He never showed up. Need advice fast! Sorry for the long post.

Old 10-03-10, 05:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 702 Likes on 619 Posts
I suspect he didn't remove the shingles because he didn't want to go thru the extra work and cost of removing and hauling off the old shingles. Removing them would not cause a leak [unless it rained during the process] after removal, you inspect the sheeting and lay down new felt.

Water can enter the attic at one spot and travel along a rafter until it comes thru the wall/ceiling somewhere else. Water tends to take the path of least resistance.

Old 10-03-10, 04:08 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanx for the response. Apparently, this contractor won't stand behind his work. I again attempted to contact him today, & he won't return my calls. I may have to get another roofer over here to fix this. And then it's on to small claims court. I think it's pathetic that people don't care about their own reputations once the money changes hands. I'll give the guy till Wed. to contact me. Then I'll proceed.

Old 10-04-10, 04:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 702 Likes on 619 Posts
It's always amazed me that some contractors seem to care little about their reputation. It takes years to build a good reputation and only a short while to ruin one. The only upside to those types of contractors is they make the good ones shine even more.

Be sure to document the repairs well! Wish you luck if you have to go thru the court process although it might not be cost effective

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: